Safari VS Firefox??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by XheartcoreboyX, Jul 9, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

*Which is faster?
    ***loods pictures faster?
    *looks better?
    *got more features?
    *shows more kinds of webpages?
    *works better with addons(such as toobars..)?
    *safer?

note: i dont care download rate cause im already going to use a software for that(Speed download)..

Thanks! :rolleyes:

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I like Safari the best. Firefox crashes often and feels slower than Safari.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Safari is faster to open

Safari IMO, but some like FF skins

FF has tons of extensions, but I can't live without Safari's Inquisitor...Safari 3 beta has some awesome things too...

FF, but there are no websites I want to visit that don't work with Safari

4. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i think i will prefer safari as well then....i noticed that images in FF takes long time to lood....and by the way that Inquisitor for safari i have just look at it..and wow its awesome i think it would be sooo useful!!

5. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I prefer FF on both the Mac and Windows. And I am not even using the latest version of FF.

6. defeated macrumors regular

firefox+fasterfox combination loads websites with large number of pictures super fast. 2~3X faster than safari.

safari looks better unless you like firefox's skin function

firefox offers more features, especially with those extensions.

firefox is generally considered to be compatible with more websites, but really depends on what websites you normally go to.

addons, firefox has more, it has about 2000+ (but you obviously don't need all of them), safari has about 100

safer.... hard to say, I would say they are both pretty good at security, but firefox has more protections for you against phishing websites, and it is updated more frequently. remember to turn off auto execution of downloaded file in the safari's preference panel if you are using safari.

7. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

well umm i think i would prefer safari,for some reasons:-
    1-its already on mac(no need to waste HDD),it was made for mac!!
    2-it looks better and more osx and very simply desgin.
    3-you can control tabs away 'cooler' once you drag a tap you can see how its window looks like and make it in new window.
    4-it has less addons but they are more useful for me.
    5-the 'Inquisitor' addon looks very useful. (thanks psychofreak )
    .....agree??

8. defeated macrumors regular

lol, each individuals are different, no need to agree on everything. I just answered your questions, as if those answers are important to you, thats your own decision.

There are always pros and cons of each browser, it all comes down to how you think about the balance, if you think safari's pros outweighing cons, then happy using it, vice versa.

PS. remember to turn off that auto execution thing, its the main security problem related to safari.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Safari for me, I used FF for a while, supported it, still I like it, but Safari on OS X is much nice IMO. I like the Mac feel, plus it syncs with my iPhone oh so nicely.

FF is still very good.

10. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Yup i think i prefer safari as well,by the way what does 'IMO' mean? --i couldnt figure out lol XD--

11. aspro macrumors 6502

IMO: In My Opinion :)

12. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I use both although probably about 80% of the time I launch in Safari and the remaining 20% of the time in FireFox. Firefox seems to load pages faster than Safari 2 for me although I would hope when Safari 3 is no longer a beta that will speed things up.

13. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

FireFox is bloated, slow and overrated in my honest opinion. I used to be a -huge- FF supporter, but I find Safari much more enjoyable to use. I'm thoroughly excited for the final version of Safari 3. Safari's color management is also important to me due to the line of work I'm in.

14. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

The other questions have been pretty well answered so far, but one question you didn't ask is:
    * Allows Flash to run without taking up 100% of CPU cycles and causing the fan of a G5 iMac to run at a noisy high speed?

Answer: Firefox. It's among the main reasons I've switched to Firefox over Safari. When UNO works (iTunes tends to break it with each update) you can make Firefox look nearly as good as any other Mac application.

And if FF 2.0.0.4 crashes often for you, something is wrong. Try disabling certain add-ons.

15. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

i dont like safari...i prefer firefox for windows and mac.... perhaps i need to get more acclimated to safari, but I'd pick firefox

16. james6000 macrumors member

james6000

Until I recently switched over to mac I loved FF, the extensions and the web pages did seem to load fast. Even on a Mac i tried to use Firefox but it simply is too much of a memory hog, just loading and playing youtube videos causes my CPU temp to soar to above 70 C and therefore fans get loud. Safari uses less than a third if even a quarter of the memory and loads pages rapidly.

I'm tempted to make safari my default, but only one little thing stopping me at the moment. Is it possible to load up tabs and webpages from last session, like FF, on Safari when opening?

Also, Safari looks awesome, everything is optimised for the Mac

17. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

@OP -- This is a pretty loaded question and you'll hear people defending both. You should try them both out and see what you think instead of what everyone else does.

You should also do a search because there's about a zillion threads with the same topic.

Have fun getting to know your web browsers.:)

18. Caezar macrumors 6502

I have been experiencing many problems with Firefox recently. It has been crashing regularly and I have had pages that do not show up, including CNN.com.

When it happens, I switch to Safari and the page displays with no problem.

The only thing that prevents me from uninstalling Firefox is that StumbleUpon does not work with Safari.

19. skwij macrumors 6502

Firefox for me. Dead stable. Faster than Safari on my machines.

As for reloading the last session of tabs in safari, try out Forget-Me-Not .

20. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Here Here my thoughts entirely :rolleyes:

Firefox is fine on the PC platform bit of a hotchpotch in the MAC one.

By the way if Firefox is so dam good how come Mozilla have got so touchy about the release of Safari for windows ;)

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Totally agree, love the new Safari. Signs of things to come.

22. C3POh macrumors member

Safari or Firefox

If I go to the CNN page then the only way to look at the videos is to use Firefox. Safari (for me) does not show anything on the CNN video page. I'm sure soon there will be an update either from Safari or from the CNN web site.

23. defeated macrumors regular

lol, touchy? I guess you don't read mozilla team's blogs, they got touchy about a lot of things. days ago Asa was worrying for the mars rovers.

one of them complained about Steve Jobs' total ignorance, so what? if an influential CEO, during an influential presentation, publicly, completely ignore the market share of Macs, I guess you won't feel any better, right? :p

market share number will answer your question, since you are so confidant, lets read the numbers one or two month from now. :p