Safari vs Firefox?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, May 28, 2009.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

which performs better? i wish i could use google chrome...but, its only in beta.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Seriously... you don't really want to start yet another Safari/Firefox thread do you?

MRoogle should help you find all the threads about this you want

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Safari vs Firefox?

I'll say what I did last time.

NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR!!! w00t! :D

4. sesnir macrumors 6502

I recently saw an article proclaiming the Safari beta to be the fastest... and it seems to be... but I just can't use it without my FireFox addons :(

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I prefer Safari, but it tends to crash alot on the MBA. Firefox is more stable imo, but I like the interface of safari better.

Chrome is also really nice, but only available on windows for now.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

7. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

You want speed? Go for Mozilla Minefield...zoom lol (although it's kinda buggy from time to time)

8. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I like them both. But I think firefox offers more features. Plus, I really wish you could change the Safari icon...

9. gaming4fun macrumors newbie

Firefox all the way. I am a big fan of the Add-ons and look.

10. mosx macrumors 65816

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Safari + AdBlockPlus cant beat it:D

12. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Or better yet...NETSCAPE COMMUNICATOR FTW!!! :D

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Something I agree with you on! :O :O :O :D:D:D :cool:

14. Skika macrumors 68030

I use both, but i use Safari a lot more.

+ it syncs with the iPhone (bookmarks...)

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I prefer Safari, hands down. It looks better than firefox, doesn't give me the easy option of getting bloated down with plugins, has nice tabs (Safari 4), Top Sites is great, its fast, and coupled with Glimmer Blocker to block ad's it does everything I need it to.

I compile Chrome on my Mac a lot, and its pretty good but obviously missing a bunch of functional features at its current state.

Opera is pretty good, just not a fan of the UI. Safari has the best UI in my eyes, and thus I use it every day on all of my Mac systems.

16. coronel mustard macrumors member

coronel mustard

Fair point about the plugins for Firefox, but you don't have to install any- they are there for the user to decide. I find a few of them to be of use, such as download helper and the previously mentioned adblock plus. Furthermore, you can change the look of Firefox with different themes, if the default ui isn't to your liking.

Don't worry, I am not trying to convert you to Firefox- I am merely pointing out that some of the "flaws" of Firefox can be worked around.

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah plugins are readily available and optional, but I then over do it and install a bunch. Plus the UI options are lackluster for my taste. I used to think having those cheesy looking Firefox themes was cool, but now my main goal is getting things done so I want a clean, professional look that Safari offers. Plus its well known Firefox emulates the Mac look but falls short.

Thats just me though. Glimmer blocker (ad-block for safari) and Safari 4 are on my PowerMac G5, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, and Mac Mini. And only Safari :)

18. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I use Firefox due to extensions etc. but wish it supported the 3finger back/forward gestures natively on the uMB's life Safari does. I heard you can use some "multiclutch" addon but would rather have native support. I heard Firefox 3.5 or a later version was going to support the multi-touch gestures.

19. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

20. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

What would be the point of native support? Why would they add that to every version of Firefox when perhaps 1% use it? The strength of Firefox is its expandibility so its great there is an addon that you can use to make it work the way you want it.

Personally I think Safari 3 is bollocks but Safari 4 is great. Camino however is my favourite because on my 1Ghz processor it runs all the flash video sites flawlessly, whereas Firefox and Safari lag some.

21. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Oh my gods I had forgotten NSCMM! Its been so long... I need to get a new monitor for my PM6200 so I can use NS again :D

22. superxero3 macrumors regular

afaik, Safari stores your saved passwords in keychain access, which nobody can access without your login password (so i make mine excessively long.)

whereas, FireFox stores its saved passwords inside the program, which can be accessed through preferences without knowing the owner of the computers login password.

IMO, Safari is better in that respect, and that is why i use it

I know some will argue that FireFox has the ability to use a 'Master Password' for the very reason i stated above, but from what i have seen, you have to type that password in every time FireFox needs to access your stored information.

23. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Wow.. sadly i didnt know about the 3finger back/forward gestures. would like to see that in firefox as it is my preferred browser.

24. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Firefox will remember individual view settings for each page you visit. Safari doesn't. Like other browsers Safari only has global zoom options.

This is the #1 feature for me. Too many sites I frequent have tiny text I can't read. With firefox I just set the text size as big as I want and it remembers this setting the next time I go there.