Safari wants to open PDF files... grrr!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by majordude, Jan 2, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

When I use Camino and click on a PDF file (Adobe Acrobat) it simply downloads the file to my download folder.

Which I like.

But when I click on a PDF in Safari, it wants to open it inside of Safari (a la Internet Explorer) and keeps asking for an application to do so. How do I get Safari to work like Camino?

2. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Hold down the option key when you click the link :cool:

3. GregE macrumors 6502

I see what you mean but don't see a way to change it other than right clicking on the pdf file and choosing Download Linked File.

Hopefully somebody else can help you.

Edit: Guess I didn't speak soon enough.

4. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I am guessing that somehow Safari has become your default PDF reader somehow.

To change this select any PDF file and then Get Info either in the Finder/File menu or by holding down the command(Apple key next to the spacebar) and typing the letter "i".

This should open the info window for the PDF icon. You'll notice that one of the options in this window is "Open With." If this option isn't expanded simply click the arrow next to it until the option is fully displayed.

You'll see a drop down menu. If Safari is selected that is the root of your problem. Change it to Preview or whatever app you like and then select "Change All" so that all your PDF files will open with this app. Usually there are recommended applications in the drop down but if you don't find the one you want you can scroll to the bottom, select "other" and then choose the app you want.

You can do this for any filetype to assign what applications open with whatever applications you choose.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in leopard safari opens linked pdf files. i dont think you can change it. youll notice theres a new bezel when you view a pdf in safari which you can use to download it to your downloads stack where you can open it in preview.

6. unity macrumors 6502a

How does that help when you are clicking a link in Safari?

7. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Mmmm. I just don't like it asking me what to do.

Here's a follow up... is there a way to set Safari so that it doesn't have to ask me what to use to open it? Set it for preview and forget it?

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no i dont think so. ive checked both the safari and preview prefs. use the option click method but maybe try "open safe files after downloading" in safari prefs. this has its security risks but preview will open after the pdf file downloads. or just use the open in preview or download button in the bezel.

9. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

This fixes it...

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES

10. RipIt macrumors newbie

Interesting Behaviour

Regarding PDF files that open in Safari Browser. i was getting rather frustrated because:
    a. it seems to take too long
    b. the back button is disabled until the pdf has finished loading
    c. I like to know when Im about to view a pdf link.

So when i tried the option click on a known pdf link I wasn't too surprised to see it download immediately, no questions asked but what I was surprised by was that any pdf file on that page now downloaded when I clicked on it even if I didnt have the option key held down. This continued until I refreshed the page.

This is all good to know and may well come in handy in the future but it sure seems like it should be a preference - view or download, at the time of clicking the link.