Safari warns about Phishing on my site.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by joshysquashy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Sometimes, when I visit a page on my site, Safari alerts that the site might be fraudulent.

What could be causing this? How can I prevent it happening?

Thanks

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The url, domain and/or IP is on one of the known lists, or there is an issue with a digital certificate for your site (i.e. SSL/TLS) if you own one.

What makes me shake my head is you also said, "Sometimes" it happens. I assume you're referring to Safari's built in anti-phishing support since v3.2, not a plugin-in. Safari uses Google's "Safe Browsing Service" which maintains the list.

Use this page to see if any of your URLs are listed: http://thejaswi.info/projects/safe_browsing/

(some guy setup that page which uses the Google API, I tried it, it seems to work)

It also could be a faulty Safari third party plugin - if you installed anything that deals with anti-phishing (Help -> Installed Plugins in Safari's top level menu) then disable temporarily and test.

-jim

3. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much for the info.

I'm not sure what is causing it, the website isn't on the list, and as I say, it only happens once, if the site hasn't been accessed in a long time, then it can't be reproduced, through refreshing, clearing the cache and restarting safari.

I'm not using SSH etc, and the page only uses PHP, HTML and JavaScript. I'm not sure what's going on. Let's hope the issue "magically" goes away! :rolleyes:

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Might consider switching to Firefox, I consider it the better of the two browsers for alot of reasons, including plugins, stability, and security. MSIE 8 which is finally in release is dog poo just like their version 7 so even on the Windows platform alot of folks are using FF. In the Mac world Apple focuses on Safari since it's been that way for years contractually plus the iPhone and other PDA's support it. I find in my web log stats more people using FF than Safari on the Mac platform, so I'm not the only one who feels this way and recognizes the differences.

Just a suggestion if Safari keeps doing that to you.

-jim

5. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but I am just concerned as a web designer that something I have done is causing this. The only other site that is doing this is The Pirate Bay, and apparently they are trying to fix it.

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The other site is called "The Pirate Bay" and you're not surprised it got added to the list? You posted that so blase' like.

You end up on the list a couple of different ways, i.e. users report you as a known phishing site (complaints), your site is generating emails which are suspicious, keywords (like "Pirate") in your domain name, URL, or site title/description/keywords in the meta tags that search engines pickup as suspicious, the previous owner of your domain/IP caused the problem then and the list simply needs to be updated.

If it's something you coded, you'll need to send us the URL so we can check it out if you want further assistance.

-jim