safari .webloc???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 10, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

who has this, whenever i drag the URL to the desktop, it turns into this webloc thing!!! what the hell??? why not just an html file, so much easier!! why WEBLOC!!!!!!????? i downloadeed firefox, same thing!! is there a way to change this. i also made an interesting discovery in safari, you cant download mp3's!!!!! i guess apple is all about stopping illegal mp3 downloading, and this is my very own file on my website, and i cant download it:mad:. i had to use firefox, im just about fed up of safari, who agrees?

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

Most browsers, I believe, create a URL link/shortcut when you drag from the address bar to the desktop. Even IE in Windows does this. Maybe you have used a browser that had a plug in to change this behavior in the past? You can use CMD-S to save an HTML copy to the computer.

Can you provide more details about the MP3 situation? I have never had any trouble downloading an MP3 from a link.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

you need to save it as page source, got it, ok, for instance im playing an mp3 in the browser, the URL is for example http://www.site.com/directory/file.mp3, i cant goto file save, or drag it to the desktop, nothing, im using safari 3, the one in leopard, it wont let me download my very own file!!!

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

webloc is a "web location", in other words it's not a html page but rather link to it. if you want to save the page, you'll have to do command-S instead

5. mediaguru macrumors regular

If you have a link on a page for an MP3 file, you should be able to Control-Click on the link and get a popup menu. Then choose Save Linked File. I actually have that option for the link you just provided, even though that file doesn't actually exist.