Safari: What happened to "Save as an App"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipedro, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

The original Beta version of Safari 4 contained a very useful feature that was actually announced as the direction browsers were going. With Web 2.0 and fully featured webapps, the browser is becoming a sort of OS within an OS.

So Safari had this feature where you could take a website such as Google Docs (a word processor fully functioning off the web) and save it as an Application. You run it like an app, it launches like one outside of the Safari interface and you can even put it in the dock.

I had made Facebook Chat into an App since it quickly became my IM of choice. I could click on the Facebook Chat icon in the dock and the webapp would open in a small window, looking a lot like an IM client and not requiring to launch Safari to run.

It was pulled for whatever reason, yet we hear nothing about it. What happened?

2. dehory macrumors regular

Yes, I was wondering this too. It seems like some of the more innovative features which were introduced in the beta (including tabs-on-top, never mind that it wasn't their innovation) didn't make it to the final version. Odd.

3. MotleyPete macrumors regular

I wondered about that too.

Fortunately, there's Fluid, which does it better.

4. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

5. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

How did you make a web app for Facebook chat? I made one for Facebook with Fluid, but would be interested in making one for the chat window only.

7. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

URL: http://www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php

There's a pop out option in the chat bar below. The URL is originally hidden but I opened the toolbar to see the URL and input it in Fluid. Works perfectly. It even maintains the size you last had it in.

Gorgeous Icons here:
    [​IMG]

8. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Nice! Thank you! :) Now if I could only get the dock badge to work like iChat. :(