Safari when opening new tabs....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by onthecouchagain, Jul 3, 2012.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So why does the search history always come up when I open a new tab? Then I have to tap away from the search history list to tap into my bookmarks. It's such a pain. Is there a better way to open a new tab of a bookmarked site?

I can't be the only one that finds this annoyingly and utterly cumbersome.

2. kbrening macrumors newbie

You may have two preferences set that make it appear that Safari is malfunctioning.

If when you try to open a new Tab and Safari brings up a page showing your history, you most likely have one of your Preferences in Safari set to "Open new pages with "History" (you can choose any number of things here).

If you are opening new Tabs by clicking the "New Tab" button, it will invoke this Preference. Same goes for File : New Tab from the Menu Bar. I always open new Tabs by simply holding down the Apple (Command) Key when clicking on a link or bookmark. This opens whatever you just clicked on in a new Tab (saving you the hassle of more steps!)

Good Luck! Beware, however, that if you are opening a bookmark from the Bookmarks Bar and it exists in a Folder there, you must NOT hold down the Apple key while clicking on the Folder itself, but only when you're ready to click on the bookmark link you're seeking. Otherwise, holding down the Apple Key while clicking on the Bookmark Folder will open _each and every single bookmark within the Folder in a new Tab, all at once (what a pain!).

Happy clicking :p

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This is the iPad forum, obviously, OP is asking about the behavior of Safari on the iPad, not OS X.

To OP: Sorry, I don't know any way to stop that behavior. Very annoying, I know!

4. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Safari does not behave this way on my iPad. What os version are you on?