Safari: why I don't use it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Enrico, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

Hi guys...

I switched some months ago, and I'm actually really happy with my mac pro and my MacBook Pro.

However...I found it difficult to switch even my browser, which was Firefox under Windows and now Firefox again.
    The basic reason is because I use a little addon called Google Browser Sync which lets you have the computers' browser you own perfectly synced together (like cookies, saved password, browsed sites etc)

Have you found something similar for Safari? Now that Safari has been released for Windows, I hope there will be more users to interest developers....

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It depends how up to date you require the syncing, as Camino can export/import bookmarks from both Safari and Firefox.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Which is, by definition, not syncing...it's manual export/import. And that's only the bookmarks.

I don't use Safari either because it doesn't offer enough customization to allow me to get it to behave like I want it to (yes, even with Saft). I use FireFox with Tab Mix Plus and a half dozen other extensions. Although unstable, I like what I've seen with Safari 3.0...but I'm not sure it will be enough to get me to switch.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For those on the verge of switching, I always have to recommend the AWESOME Inquisitor

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

:D looks like the debate is happening. ok let me contribute a little bit.

I honestly need these listed problems solved so I can user safari more than now

1. I need a adblocker that allows me to mannually add filters.
    2. I need a pop-up blocker that allow me to make a whitelist
    3. I need a pure single window mode, no pressing keys while clicking links, and I want protopage.com's links opened in tabs (its my homepage, so have to)
    4. I need it to remember multiple usernames/passwords, I have 4 gmail accounts, lol, also I need easy access to see my passwords, LOL, sometimes I forgot them.. sigh,
    5. I need to be able to select the destination for each file I download. I really like to put them in desired locations rather than put them all together and copy/paste later
    6. I need a mouse invoked "new tab" function somewhere, a button, double click on tab bar, or whatever, just want to use less keyboard, its white MB, getting dirty by day!
    7. I need a search and go to link function, i really use this alot
    8. I need a drop down history at address bar, so i can avoid input.

above are basics

I would really like mouse gesture and theme/extension function too.

6. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

Well, that's not a matter of bookmarks syncing. You can sync just that with .mac

The Google Firefox addon automatically syncs for you saved passwords, clicked links, browsed sites, cookies, that's basically like you're always using the same machine with the same browser.

7. pengu macrumors 6502a

Inquisitor is ok, but personally i prefer AcidSearch

I'd like to think Apple will support OpenSearch in Safari 3 so we can have more than Google & Yahoo built in...

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That looks very slick, but I don't think that's going to solve my problems with Safari.

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Multi-browser syncing can be done with .Mac, but that costs...

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

The lack of "new tab" buttons should be a very easy to implement feature, yet it does not exist. Anyways, I cannot help you with the others, but I may have solution for the above 3 and 6. The middle button opens links in new tab. (Well, OK, these are partial solutions.) I set my home page to be an empty page, so when I click on the home button with the middle button, it opens a new tab.

In any case, I miss "Tab Mix Plus" options of Firefox, but it does not bother me enough to download it onto my Mac. I guess I try not to net surf too much on my Mac.

11. hsotnicaM macrumors regular

I have a serious issue with Safari stability. Plus, I can't use it for forms including buying things off the web - including eBay and Apple's site. :confused:

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I actually know this, and fortunately, my mice has a scroll button in the middle, little bit difficult, but still do-able, however, its very strange that protopage.com 's links do NOT work with middle button in safari. I don't understand why tho..

13. georgeoommen macrumors regular

Doesnt support new Yahoo! Mail interface

Fair enough its still in beta, but both Firefox and IE on windows support the new Yahoo! Mail interface.. Why has Safari not been updated to support this? Very annoying as I use this a lot especially all the keyboard shortcuts and stuff... Anyone know of a workaround for this?

14. skierdude macrumors member

skierdude

safari sucks i use firefox. i even deleted it from my hard drive.:)

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Stick with Firefox! I'm totally thinking of trying that Google plugin, thank you!

16. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

But Safari is just... SNAPPIER! :)

Its true! Firefox is sluggish on my Mac, so I dont use it.. currently I am using Safari on Windows on Parallels on my Mac, dont ask why I was on to help a friend and I just worked so hard to get windows to work I figured id.. enjoy it? But either way

Im a vote for Safari, its ease of use and snappyness just gets me.. :)

17. Enrico thread starter macrumors 6502

Enrico

I thought that it would sync only the bookmarks....wouldn't it??

For anyone of you that have a Gmail account and some computers from where you usually browse with....try that tool! It feels like you're using always the same one:eek:

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only use Safari on OSX and XP because of the speed. I don't really care for hundreds of features in a web browser - I want speed (loading/rendering, autofill etc).

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well yes, but it means I have (roughly) the same bookmarks on all my browsers and at Warwick, it's not ideal, but I'm satisfied with it.

20. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You got serious issues then. Any system hacks installed?

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its hard to imagine safari would be speedy on windows with all the baggages, u really want speed? give opera a shot.

22. Thinine macrumors newbie

What baggage? Nothing that would effect its rendering speed, other than Windows' general crapiness.

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

+1 on that recommendation.

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

baggage of forcing an independent rendering library that cause each operation to slow down.

baggage of forcing an UI that breaks window guideline and create Interface lag when operating on the UI, such as maximize.

The way safari is ported, causes both rendering and application speed to slow down and can not compete with opera at speed.

please listen to what windows users are saying before porting OSX users opinions. safari for windows is a total different beast than safari for OSX.

25. Zw42a macrumors member

I really miss the the autosearch function when you start typing, which is in FF. I'm so used to that when I start typing that I'm already searching..
    O, and I'm used to use the backspace-key for going back. It bugs the hell out of me.
    What I do like is the speed. I still have my PC around and I'm really enjoying testing the Safari-beta. Still got some problems with my middle mouse button and opening new links as tabs in the same window and the points that I already named up there :rolleyes:

In the end I'm still with Firefox: also fast, works with alomst every website, autosearch (PLEASE LET IT BE IN THE NEXT SAFARI UPDATE) and the recovery option which isn't that hidden as in the new Safari beta.