Safari/Wifi problems ... need advice [UPDATE]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 1creator, Dec 17, 2009.

1. 1creator macrumors member

I tried searching but didn't find a similar thread, sorry if there was.

When ever I try to open safari a " connecting screen " shows up and stays. I can't quit by holding the home button. The only way I can quit is by clicking the home button. I tried restoring my iPod, restarting my router, disconnecting and reconnecting. Nothing worked, thought I might come here for some help before heading out to an apple store. Any help is appreciated.

Observations:
    Before the problem began my wifi forgot my wireless password and asked for it, me being too lazy just canceled and played around with some apps and left my iPod for a couple of days. When I turned it on later and went to safari what I explained above happened.

When I restarted my router and I turned on Wifi and it remembered my wireless connection and connected. It first had full wifi strength, then the cut up circle thingy spun on the top left corner next to the wifi pie and the full strength turned to one bar.

iTunes, app store, and anything that uses wifi doesn't work.

iTunes and app store gives me : Cannot connect to iTunes store invalid argument

Safari gives me this:

[​IMG]

[UPDATE]

Turns out to fix the problem I had to go to settings->general->reset->reset network settings

After it reset I just had to retype my wifi password and everything worked fine.

2. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

This happened to me, it turned out that my neighbour had installed a wireless router on the same channel as mine, and the two signals were interfering, giving me rubbish wireless range and very slow internet. ...Although I could still browse the internet...

Are there any routers in the area that your iPod can pick up?

Does your PC connect to the router through WiFi?

Log onto the router with your PC's browser (there should be an address for the router in your user manual, or just do a google search), then have a flick through the options until you find the option to change the channel.

I changed my channel to channel 11 and my iPod works really fast. Give it a go. :D

3. Bluloculai macrumors newbie

huh? jb?

4. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

I'm in an apartment complex so my ipod does pick up different routers, it's never been a problem. My MBP doesn't have any problems and the signal is at full strength.

I tried to change the channel on my telus router but it wouldn't let me. Seems that channel 11 is the optimal one that all the other laptops and devices are using.

I don't think it's the router tbh. My dad's iPhone is working on the same wifi and it's at full strength and other laptops seem to be fine.

What could the problem be?

it isn't jb. I read a tip that to fully quit something(so it isn't running in the background) on the ipod you hold down the home button. This used to work when quitting safari. But now with the 'connecting message' i can't do that anymore. I wanted to do it so I could quit the application(safari) and try to relaunch to see if it fixes the problem.

5. androiphone macrumors 65816

Applications do completely quit when you press the home button. Their current state is written to the flash memory so that it can be reloaded when the application starts again (it doesn't use any system memory or processors after it has written that data), holding down the home button force quits an application (kills it without giving it any warning), so it's like shutting down your computer by holding down the power switch (or just unplugging it) and not either sleeping or clicking shut down - remember the iPhone and iPod Touch can only multitask with the iPod and phone app and nothing else

6. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, didn't know it was a force quit. I guess I was trying to force quit safari because i thought it would fix the problem. Nothing seems to work so I made an appointment with the genius bar and will see what they make of it.

7. Rusty81 macrumors newbie

Rusty81

You get this screen when you don't have an internet connection.

This could be because of many things, some already posted but also just check your wifi settings. Does your ip address start with a 169, if so then that is the problem.

To solve this sometimes just reseting the wifi router will do it.

Hope this helps

8. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, I already mentioned in my original post that i've tried that. Didn't seem to work. What makes me feel that it isn't the router is that my dad's iphone works fine on the same wifi. I'm going to the genius bar on Wednesday to see what they think of it. No harm in getting an opinion from them

9. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

[UPDATE]

Turns out to fix the problem I had to go to settings->general->reset->reset network settings

After it reset I just had to retype my wifi password and everything worked fine.