Safari will not open

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tWoSour, Oct 16, 2008.

1. tWoSour macrumors member

I turned my computer on today, and Safari will not open. Tried repairing permissions, and running daily/weekly/monthly scripts with OnyX, and it still won't open. I just get the beach ball of death.

I tried downloading the latest update from Apple.com, but it says I need atleast 10.5.2 (and i have 10.5.5) and won't install.

Any advice?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Safari crashing/freezing/won't open? Try these tips, in the order given:

Find Safari's preference file. Move it elsewhere. Try again. If it doesn't work you can put it back. The preference file is located in ~/Library/Preferences (where ~ is your user or home folder) and is called com.apple.Safari.plist.

Find Safari's cache folder, and do the same thing with it. This one's in ~/Library/Caches and is called either "Safari" or "com.apple.Safari" - depending on which version of Safari you have.

Find Safari's general data folder, and try the same technique. This is in ~/Library and is called Safari. Your bookmarks, history, and cookies are in here.

If none of those work, download and apply the 10.5.5 Combo Updater from Apple's site. This will (hopefully) update the offending part of Safari.

3. tWoSour thread starter macrumors member

Nothing worked, still beach ball'd. I have already done the combo update

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If its not the preferences or the caches, nor the permissions, you might need to reinstall Safari or *gulp* the operating system. If you're running Leopard, have you tried restoring the Safari application into your Applications folder with Time Machine from a date it (Safari) last worked? Are any other applications affected? The OS being recognized as 10.5.2 by the installer when you're running 10.5.5 could indicate something more serious that may only be resolved with a complete reinstall of the system.

5. tWoSour thread starter macrumors member

Not using Time Machine.....really dont want ot have to re-install OS X, I'll just use FireFox unless someone can come up with a solution