Safari Windows: A step toward Apple's Flash/Sliverlight killer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iSee, Jun 18, 2007.

1. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

So why would Apple come out with a Windows version of Safari?

Sure there's the idea floating around that Apple stands to make some millions from sending browser to search engines, but I really don't think it's Apple's style to scrabble to money on the fringes. Not that that didn't help them make the decision ("worst case, it pays for itself), but I think they have bigger goals in mind.

But what if Apple wanted to develop a platform for rich Internet apps?

First, the market is really still wide open. As good as Flash is for delivering annoying ads and site intros (ok, plus some mildly amusing game-lets and very, very few really good sites), they have not really cracked the rich internet app market. I noticed that for version 9 they've yet again re-tooled their "components" (which are strangely pared down from v8). Also, Adobe is getting pretty aggressive about monetizing their commanding ubiquity in desktop browsers. Flash development tool prices continue to shoot up, and they demand incredible licensing terms from mobile device manufacturers to allow the flash player to be included. This create a real opening for competitors. MS's Silverlight is another major contender, but it has a long uncertain road to follow to become dominant.

So why not Apple?

They could create a specialized version of Cocoa, release Xcode on Windows and Linux. Of course they'd create plug-ins for all the major browsers, but the only way to ensure the best user/development experience is to host it in a friendly browser--Safari.

Well, it's just a thought, but I'd love it if Apple took a good crack at this.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mobile browser market is dominated by opera (70%), and they are replacing flash as we speak.

I heard that Apple is focusing on AJAX, which is not new, and hard to imagine it can replace video component of the webpage.

I don't think apple is pushing any new tech, to create a rich internet platform with existing standard, totally opened gecko seems to have much to gain than any other browsers.

I can't talk too much about silverlight, its too new.

3. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

what is AJAX and what is the difference between flash and ajax?

4. iSee thread starter macrumors 68040

iSee

Yes, Opera's the one to beat currently on mobile devices, but they don't have a rich internet solution, do they? I've heard a little about their Flash replacement, but it seemed to be focusing on Video on mobile devices. While great, this isn't really what I'm talking about, although Video is a part of it.

I wouldn't see Apple targeting any mobile devices besides iPhones/iPods, since they see current mobile devices as the "old" way. But they would need to rule the desktop/laptop space to be successful in making it a standard.

As a software engineer, the current standards all seem greatly lacking in all kinds of ways that a really good system could hope to fulfill.

For example, AJAX isn't really anything besides a loose, informal collection of techniques. It's pretty much a single API, XMLHttpRequest.:D

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

First off - I don't see why Apple wouldn't stand to make millions, and why that wouldn't be their "style?" They're a company like anything else, and like it or not, their first priority is making money.

As for the rich internet apps thing - I tend to be of the mindset that they have no intentions of going after Flash or Silverlight, but see this as a means of providing their "SDK" to everyone. If it works in Safari3, it'll work on the iPhone.

I really think it's that simple.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

This is the only reason to enter the Windows browser market. Makes sense to me. Now almost any developer can write iPhone "Apps."

7. iSee thread starter macrumors 68040

iSee

It's not their style in that they would just be a middle man between customers and the search engine big-wigs--and at their mercy. Apple looks for businesses where they can be the dominate, central player. I'm sure they aren't turning the money down or anything, I just think it's got to be part of a larger strategy. I think we'd all agree that the Windows browser market is not exactly a fresh, open market.

I guess you are probably right, it's just an iPhone thing. I'm just hoping there is more to it.

The rich internet app market is being ceded to MS right now, and I'm hoping someone smart and with enough clout at least gives them a run for their money.

* Flash seems to be spinning its wheels.
    * AJAX is not really any one thing and a lack of focus and direction could be its fatal flaw.
    * Various others (there is some really cool stuff floating around) seem far too small to complete.

8. jono_3 macrumors regular

safari for windows is just a toe in the water checking to see if people use itunes because they like to or because they have too

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i bet on later