Safari without Glims and Adblock: Faster?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kahnyl, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I just reinstalled Leopard on my Mac after Finder kept acting weird and during the reinstallation of my apps I started using Safari 4 without any input managers or plugins. I was going to install them but I'm now not so sure. Safari feels quite better. Even a page full of ads feels like it actually appears faster after I click it's link. Do these things actually bog Safari down a little or am I probably imagining it due to having a fresh install? It would seem silly that blocking ads would take as long or even longer than just showing them.

2. Diaresi macrumors regular

There's quite a lot of information about it (Google input managers for more explanation) but simply Safari in no way, shape or form actually supports extensions (plugins it does support like Flash etc.). What programmers are doing is having to code around that lack of support which can obviously cause slowdowns and crashing.

If you want to use Safari but with extensions then you should expect that things can go wrong. This will vary of course.

If you want to run things like adblock and such then i would recommend just to download and use Firefox.