Safari + WMV = 100% CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rogersmj, Apr 11, 2008.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I've got a relatively fresh install of Leopard, along with Perian and Flip4Mac WMV. Whenever I view go to a web site with a WMV and let it play in Safari, after that point the browser keeps slowing down until it eventually gets to the point where it's unusable. Even after I'm done watching the video, Safari continues to eat up 100% of one core (and it bounces back and forth between cores). If I watch another video, it's choppy and the effect just gets more severe. Any website, any WMV...it brings Safari to its knees.

I have two other Macs that don't exhibit this problem. I've reinstalled Flip4Mac but there's been no change. Any ideas?

2. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I want to revive this thread because I'm still having this problem. It's now happening on my other Macs as well (all Leopard). I'm not sure exactly when it started, since I don't view WMV files very often, but I think there was an update to either Safari or Flip4Mac within the last couple months. When I get some time I'm going to try to find an older version of Flip4Mac and see if it will let me install it.

Is no one else having this problem?

3. burgen macrumors newbie

there is a new version flip4mac that fixed this problem.

4. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I have 2.2.0.49, and according to the preference pane I have the most up to date version. I still can't view WMV files in a browser more than a couple times before it gets so slow it's worthless.