Safari Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by floyde, Jul 6, 2008.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

So Safari died out on me, it would hang up while starting up. I logged in with my sister's account, and it was working OK in there. I thought perhaps my preferences had been corrupted, so I deleted all of my user's Safari prefs. Nothing... I then deleted Safari and downloaded the latest version from Apple's website. The installer said I needed Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later to install, I'm running 10.5.4!! :eek::rolleyes::mad: So I installed Safari from the Leopard DVD, but now I'm stuck with version 3.0.4. Software update won't detect any updates for Safari, and the standalone installer still asks for 10.5.2 or later.

Anyway, perhaps it's better this way, the last 3 or so updates of Safari had been beachballing me to insanity. Multi-tabbed/multi-tasked browsing had become impossible and I was pretty much switching to the new Firefox. Safari 3.0.4 is working smoothly, but I'm the kind of person who compulsively updates every piece of software on their machine to the latest version, wether there's some improvement or not. Any chance there's something I could do to fix software update? Thanks

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Now would be a great time to try out Firefox 3, in all of its newly updated glory! :D. I have no idea what your computer is doing, but maybe you should just make a fresh new account, move your stuff, and delete the old one? That seems like the obvious next step.

3. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Thanks, but I think a new account wouldn't allow me to update Safari either. I've tried Firefox 3 and it's great, but I'm way too accustomed to Safari to change just yet. The standalone Safari update is broken... Google shows that plenty of people have had that problem with it, but I haven't found a workaround yet. I know there's a file somewhere that (incorrectly) tells Software Update that the latest version of Safari is installed, but I've yet to find it. I deleted all Safari entries on SoftwareUpdate.log, but to no avail :(

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Go to your applications folder, right click (ctrl click) safari.app, and click show package contents. Maybe your hidden file will be in there.

EDIT: There's a file called version.plist, maybe you're missing that/wrong information? Check it out, open it up.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try re-applying the 10.5.4 update - this included an updated Safari. You'll need the Combo updater.

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

isn't 10.5.4 later than 10.5.2, or is it just me?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OK, no offense, but just because you think it won't allow you to doesn't mean it won't. Give it a try, it was a very good suggestion. If it doesn't work, then you move on to the next step (system reinstall).

jW

8. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Ahh you're right, good idea, I'll look in there thanks.

I'll try this as well, many thanks.

Right, I have 10.5.4 installed (which is the latest version) and the installer says it needs 10.5.2 or later, so it's not detecting versions properly.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude. It's just that I already tried that with other existing accounts without any luck. So I just have a big hunch that it's not where the problem is at.

9. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

This one did the trick, thanks