Safari won't close

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wanda, May 1, 2007.

1. wanda macrumors member

howdy. having a problem with safari not closing, it's happened several times in the past week. I'm not doing anything major with it at the time, just the usual browsing...no other tabs or other pages open and no other programs open either. the problem happens when i just hit the red close button and get the beach ball. i've waited for up to 5 minutes but no change, just the spinning color wheel. it won't force close and i can even open and close other programs while its happening. the only way to get safari to close when it happens is to do a restart at which point i get a screen 30 seconds or so after pressing the power button that says "the logout time for this program has timed out do you want to continue to force quit?"

All updates are installed, 10.4.9, standard issue 1.8 512Ram, no third party ram.

Please help!

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

apple-Q will quit safari (not clicking on the red button)

if you want to terminate it, try openint 'terminal' and typing:

killall Safari

when done, re-open safari and "reset" it.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I always click on the background desktop behind the safari window, to activate finder, then click on the apple, force quit, safari... it has taken more than once before but not lately since the last few system updates. The spinning ball goes away if you get out of safari into a finder window.

4. wanda thread starter macrumors member

I've tried the apple-Q and no result...the only thing that will close it is to do a full restart. I'll try "termial" next time, how do i find it?

Also, if i "reset" safari aren't i going to lose all my saved passwords to various sites?

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

1: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal

2: Yes...is it that big of a deal?

6. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

I've never tried Terminal for a force-quit, I just do command+option+escape (which opens the force-quit window that will list all your open apps).

7. wanda thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is...i had the computer save them so i wouldn't have to remember them...i'm not smart enough to keep up with all of them.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try next time...but for me the bigger issue is why it's happening in the first place.