Safari won't connect to Websites

Discussion in 'macOS' started by orla, Feb 10, 2011.

1. orla macrumors newbie

My OX 10.6 snow leopard won't connect to certain websites. Safari says it can't find the url and therefore cannot connect. This is particularly frustrating since one of the site is my own. I have to keep thinking of key words belonging to my site and trying to connect that way using google.

Can any one help?:mad:

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Can you post a link to said websites, to see if anyone else has the same problem? Have you tried Firefox or Chrome?

3. brandone macrumors member

If you are able to connect to some websites, but not all, it most likely has to do with your ISP's DNS resolution.
    Go into System Preferences ----> Network -----> select either wifi or ethernet (which ever you use to connect to the internet) ----> Advanced -----> DNS ----> + -----> Add 8.8.8.8 ----> ok ----> apply
    8.8.8.8 is google's public DNS server, it's great for DNS requests.
    Good Luck.

4. orla thread starter macrumors newbie

Safari won't connect to Websites

Thanks Brandone - so far so good - :)

5. agr5 macrumors member

I was just experiencing this same issue. I tired adding 8.8.8.8 to my DSN list and it didn't work. I finally figured out that peerguardian was the reason certain websites wouldn't load.

Even though peerguardian wasn't running it was still blocking the sites somehow. I opened peerguardian went to 'File' -> 'Disable Filters' and now everything loads just fine.

Weird thing is, I have had peerguardian installed for a while and had no issues until a couple days ago...