Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
i've had this problem for a while and untill now it didn't bothert me cause if i just wanted to download something then i'd try in safari and if it didn't work then i'd use IE. but i'd like to fix the problem now....when i try to dl a .dms and some .dmg files it just showws up as one of those pieces of paper with the corner folded down...and it won't work

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
When your describing the Icon are you saying that it just shows as blank?

If its blank then it means it doesn't have an extension on it to say what program to use, or the file hasn't been done properly and is broken

Anyway of showing an example site?

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
basically anything from apple's downloads site. yea it shows as a blank document, does that mean if its a .dmg then i should tell it to open with wat?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Unfortunately, Apple decided to hide the application used to open disk images, making it a pain to fix the association should it get broken, like in your case...

Anyway, the application you want is called DiskImageMounter, and it lives here (Mac-style path):

Macintosh HD:System:Library:CoreServices:DiskImageMounter

(UNIX-style path):

/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter

Choose to browse for it, and open the various folders I've mentioned to get to it. If you renamed your Mac's hard disk to something other than "Macintosh HD", then use that name in its place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.