safari wont go to website without www or .com anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by likemyorbs, Oct 1, 2008.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

when i used to type in just "google" as opposed to google.com, safari would automatically go to it, or any other site for that matter. i never needed the prefix. all of a sudden it goes to the optimum online "domain not found " page and has google.com as a suggested link instead. its rather annoying, thats one of the features i really liked and for some reason it changed today without me doing anything. suggestions anyone?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's actually a DNS issue generally. Try switching to OpenDNS. There's instructions on the site, it's really easy and they work really well. It'll even identify when a site exists but just isn't loading.

jW

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i honestly have no idea what dns is, all i know is yesterday i can type a site name and safari added the www. and .com for me, and today it doesnt

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

:rolleyes: Then follow the instructions. They give you visual, step by step instructions over at the OpenDNS site.

Most likely the DNS servers you're using (through your ISP) changed, and the new ones don't support the feature that does that for you.

jW