Safari won't launch - please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jm5646, Nov 8, 2010.

1. jm5646 macrumors newbie

:mad:
    I have a 5 year old ibook G4 running running on OS x 10.4.11

Last night when I tried to launch Safari (version 4.1.2) but it wouldn't open. It just bounced once from the dock and that was it. Today it bounces twice and nothing.

I started reading some stuff in mac forums and read what others with a similar problem were saying. They said ichat and itunes were not working either. I checked mine and lo and behold mine weren't working either. How are these applications all connected? I tried to check for software updates for Safari from my computer but when I tried that, the software update icon appeared in my dock, bounced once, shrunk and disappeared. It wouldn't open either.

I am using firefox currently. I had not used it for a long time, so when I opened it last night, it asked me to update flash. I did. But I don't see how that could be the problem since I updated flash AFTER realizing safari wouldn't open.

I tried creating a different user account for my mac, logged in as that user, and tried to launch safari. It wouldn't launch. I did permissions repair, but that did not do anything to help either.

I tried moving the safari history .plist file to the desktop and then tried to launch safari, but that did nothing. I deleted the file, and that still did nothing.

Everything was going fine on Saturday. I was using itunes, ichat and safari that day. While on safari, I got a thing that popped up reminding me to update safari. I started to do this, but it was taking forever, so I decided to quit the update. It took a long time to get it to quit. I wonder if interrupting the update caused a problem. Safari still worked for about 24 hours after I quit the update. But that doesn't explain why the ichat or itunes stopped working right when safari did.

Any suggestions PLEASE??

Oh, and here's a little history with my computer. Right after I purchased this computer 5 years ago, it got dropped while open and the screen was totally damaged. I got it replaced. Then a year later it had a kernal panic problem which was the result of a defective hard drive. THAT was then replaced. It was fine for a few years and now this. UGH.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If you have another browser, you could download a more recent version of Safari and install over the older version. Make sure the Safari version is compatible with your OS version.