Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smackenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Glasgow
I'm having an increasingly annoying problem with Safari on my MacBook. For various reasons, I like to have Firefox as my default browser and have selected it as such in Safari preferences. However, following each reboot, I find that Safari has become the default browser.

The problem has persisted through the last couple of updates to Safari and Leopard and I am currently running the latest versions of both (3.1 and 10.5.2, respectively). I've tried deleting various preference files to no avail; I suspect that the problem is related to a botched migration to Leopard, but I've already reinstalled once and would really like to avoid doing so again if somebody knows of a simple fix. Anybody know where my default browser settings are hiding?

Help much appreciated.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... Anybody know where my default browser settings are hiding?

You seem to have a bad preferences file. Drag ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist to the Desktop and relaunch Safari. If this does not work, then try the internetpriv.plist[/b], internetpref.plist, and Safari.plist files in succession.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I just downloaded the new beta of Firefox last night and it does seem quicker than Safari. I would prefer to use the browser that comes with the OS, but I may have to break my own rule in this case.

smackenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Glasgow
Thanks for the suggestions, MisterMe (and the clarification, Eraserhead). I tried removing the various files suggested individually and (in increasing frustration!) in combination, but to no avail, I'm afraid. Even after having to re-enter all my usual homepage, download folder, etc. preferences (when removal of one of the files caused a reversion to default settings), the problem still recurred upon rebooting (although it doesn't seem to happen when just logging in and out of accounts).

On the upside, Safari now seems snappier...(!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.