Safari Wont open (5.1.1) on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chimpboy74, Oct 24, 2011.

1. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi,
    I hope someone can help with my problem with my mac mini running snow (10.6.8). Recently Safari will not open at all. When I click the icon in the dock it bounces and then a message says it quit unexpectedly and gives a long detailed log.
    2 things that may be relevant:
    Recently my 3 yr old twins somehow with only the use of a mouse replicated a lot of dock icons on the desktop which I cant seem to remove or delete (It will delete the program if I do this - I have tried)

I was looking through the help files and at the bottom of the help file "about safari" it has a link to open safari. I clicked it and safari opened no bother. However there was an additional safari icon in the dock as well as the one on the desktop. When I shut this safari down the new icon disappeared. when I clicked the original icon it wouldnt open again.

Can anyone offer any advice on:
    1. How to get rid of the extra desktop icons without deleting the actual program. and 2 getting safari to open without having to go through the help file.

I hope that there is a straightforward solution to this and am happy to be pointed in the direction of any existing info that may help!

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

The dock does not hold actual application files on the left side of he dotted white line. When you click the link that opens safari, hold the new icon, and under options, select pin to dock. Then you can drag it anywhere you want. I don't believe it wil let you delete Safari anyway.

3. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Thanks It seems to be working now I have done this. Not sure why the other icon wouldnt work.

Thanks again.