Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
As soon as I launch safari, the HD will begin thrashing continuously for no apparent reason, it will do this for ~10 minutes (constant thrashing) and the noise alone is very annoying. As soon as I close Safari, the thrashing stops and everything is quiet again. Then I relaunch Safari and it starts thrashing again. It's driving me CRAZY! No other browser behaves this way. Does anyone else have similar problems with Safari and is there any way to "shut it up"?

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
I don't have any problems with Safari

Does it do this regardless of the site you are visiting?

Yes, it doesn't even matter if I just leave it idle on Google. It's as if something in the background is causing the disk to thrash as soon as I launch Safari. I have re-installed it once already and no changes.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Have you tried resetting Safari? you will find the menu item in the menubar for Safari called "Safari" then "Reset Safari". Then tick everything if not ticked.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You might need to delete com.apple.finder.plist or com.apple.safari.plist in ~/Library/Preferences. Also, com.apple.loginwindow.plist and com.apple.systemuiserver.plist wouldn't hurt if you deleted them also. Make sure you copy them to the desktop before deleting, in case something goes wrong. Have you looked at how much CPU Finder and Safari are using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.