Safari won't start up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zuurbekje, Oct 13, 2012.

1. zuurbekje macrumors newbie

On my white MacBook (mid-2007) 2GHz/3GB/OS 10.7.4, Safari won't start up. It just crashes after a few seconds, and I get a crash message.

I have deleted all items with 'Safari' in the filename in /Library and /user/Library (preferences and the like), and that doesn't do the trick.

I don't exactly know what to look for in a crash report, but it can be viewed here:
    http://is.gd/5CCFYm

Does anyone have a tip for me? Thanks a bunch!

2. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

Just for god sake reinstall Safari, restart and free your RAM and hard drive with some multitasking tool.

3. desertman macrumors 6502a

Did you repair the permissions and clean out all cache files? If not, do it. In my opinion this is best done with Lion Cache Cleaner (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/9503/mountain-lion-cache-cleaner, download the right version for OS X 10.7).

Start with Maintenance (Repair Permissions and Run Maintenance Scripts), restart. Go on with Cache Cleaning and start here with Light Cleaning, restart. If necessary go on with Medium Cleaning, restart. If necessary go on with Deep Cleaning, restart.

4. zuurbekje thread starter macrumors newbie

@desertman: Thank you very much for the tips! Did all that, still no joy...

@DoctorCrap: I fail to see what you're swearing for. Then, to get to the substance of your comment: I have plenty of RAM, and disk space, which isn't very fragmented. And: there is no separate Safari installer AFAIK. Safari comes as part of the OS, and so, reinstalling Safari would require an OS X reinstall. I'd very much like to avoid that, as the system is running fine.

5. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

You might want to take a look at some articles in the Internet to help yourself. If you've repaired the application then it should work. If it doesn't then use an other alternative browser, I recommend Google Chrome.

6. parc macrumors newbie

Crap again.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Why do people need a program to do this while you can easily do all those task without it, cleaning caches for instance, go to User/Library/Caches select all and delete them.

There was always a separate safari installer, that is as long it is one version newer than the one which was installed with the OS.
    You can download Safari on Apple's site in the download section, his advice is valid.

8. desertman macrumors 6502a

Besides the fact that there are more cache files on a Mac that can cause trouble than just those in User/Library/Caches and besides the fact that hardly anybody would know how to run the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance scripts without a program let me ask you this:

Why do people need a calculator when everything a calculator does can also be done without it by just using paper and pen?

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I said "for instance", yes there are more caches in /Library or in /Library/System/Library/Caches.
    Repairing Permissions can be done in Disk Utility, cron scripts run automatically.
    Many programs are also not free, they just have a nice interface to do those things, I do these tasks faster than launching such programs.

But, I don't want to attack you, don't be offended by what I said, I think people are just too lazy or dumb to learn their system.

10. zuurbekje thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Parc.
    @DoctorCrap: Why do you presume I didn't check the internet before asking on this forum? I found nothing that helped me, that's the reason for my question.
    And: it's not that I cannot live without Safari, as Firefox is my browser of choice. But the fact that Safari is part of the OS, /and/ not working, is a little unsettling to me.

@justperry: I have looked for it alright. I'd be very interested if you could show me a webpage where one can download a standalone installer of Safari >5.1.6 for Lion.

11. desertman macrumors 6502a

The maintanance scripts run only automatically when your system is up and running between 03:15 and 05:30 am local time, depending on the script. Apple never cared to implement a function that would let these scripts run at a different time.

12. justperry, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Sorry I quoted you instead of the OP, it's late.;)

It's past might night now, have to go to bed, you could also download 10.7.4 and apply that update again, you won't loose anything.

13. zuurbekje thread starter macrumors newbie

Joy!

An update to 10.7.5 and Safari 6.0.1 (from OS X' automatic Software Updater) did the trick: Safari works again. (Why Safari stopped working before, remains a mystery to me.)

Thanks for all helpful posts!