Safari Won't work in Hotel

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by martinmartin, Apr 17, 2008.

1. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I'm in Shanghai at the moment and the internet in my hotel isn't working with Safari (or Firefox, etc.).

It's connected via ethernet to a modem and it's supposed to automatically direct you to a login page where you click 'accept to pay' and then you are connected.

It worked the very first night, but not since then (5+ days).

I've had 3 people from the 'business center' try to fix it and they haven't made any progress.

Funny thing is, I have Windows installed (via Parallels) and Internet Explorer works every time...

Any ideas how to get this working in OSX?

Cheers

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you're just going to have to live with using IE to do the connection, unless you can persuade the hotel to get it to work on the login page with Firefox.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Does Firefox also work under Parallels?
    If not it would seem as if the whole login process is IE only… which in China doesn't surprise me — very MS Windows centric.
    If I take my MacBook out it seems to some people as if an alien craft has landed… :eek:

4. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

I only have Firefox on OSX, not Windows.

The strange thing is, Safari [in OSX] worked the very first night...then it didn't work thereafter.

I wouldn't much care except all of my email is on the Mac side (in Entourage).

I've played with Network Preferences, Renewing DHCP, etc, to no avail.

If it hadn't worked the first day, I would have given up, but since it did, I know it's possible...

Note - when I say Safari, I'm only referring to the OSX side.

Cheers.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If you use the Parallels side to log in with IE doesn't the OS X side then have access to the connection?
    I mean to say surely the connection isn't dependent on the browser once past the login stage.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Try installing Firefox on Windows and see if that works.

7. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Would this help me on the OSX side?

I agree...but it just gives me the 'You are not connected to the internet' page...

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It would narrow down the search and reveal if it was an IE only login system or summit else. :)

Have you checked the Parallels settings? If there is an internet connection there it is available to both sides… unless you have it disabled somehow.

9. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Safari worked the first night, so I know its not an IE only login system.

As far as parallels preferences, I have 'Enable DHCP scope for shared networking' checked...

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

11. juro macrumors member

You can use Safari to "trick" the system that you are using Internet Explorer.

Go to Safari preferences Advanced tab and click on "Show Develop menu on menu bar".

Once the Develop Menu is available on the Menu Bar, go to User Agent and choose one of the Internet Explorer options available for you.

Hope this gets it going for you.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Bolded emphasis is my doing.

13. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Are we sure whether this is the site blocking any other browser, or whether any other browser doesn't know how to display it?

14. aristobrat macrumors G5

Thanks, I obviously didn't catch that. :eek:

When I was traveling in Germany last summer and dealt with hotel paid Internet, most of them were very specific about only allowing access to one device (unless I picked a plan that cost more for multiple-device access).

If Parallels on the OPs machine is setup to use the network in bridged mode (allowing it to connect directly to the physical network), then the Parallels machine is going to look like a physically different machine than the Mac (i.e. different mac addresses).

If the Internet provider doesn't allow multiple computers to use the same paid session, that could be problematic.

15. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

You might be on to something - check out my preferences for Parallels in the attachment below. Maybe I should try deselecting 'Enabled' and see what happens then. Maybe Parallels is somehow 'grabbing' the connection first and taking priority.

See attachment for my Network Preferences. (This screenshot was taken at the office where I'm using wi-fi and everything is working fine). When I'm at the hotel, Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest are connected correctly, but Ethernet, while connected, doesn't have a valid IP address.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot too.

Attached Files:

16. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

...well, neither method above worked...

Scratching my head at this point...

17. Divindude macrumors member

Since it worked the first night, is there a cookie on your system that isn't being reset? I'd try to find the browser cookie and delete it.

18. boast macrumors 65816

boast

19. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good suggestion - unfortunately I have thousands of cookies and don't want to delete them all. I'm not sure what the site would be called or how to find it to just delete the 1 cookie... I wish they were listed in order of last visited.

I tried this - no dice...