Safari = WTF

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Martin C, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Now this issue has never happened to me and I have had this Intel iMac for over a year now. On certain webpages in Safari, now almost all, I get the spinning beachball for a few seconds before I can actually browse the page. If I click or try to scroll during this beachballing, it becomes non-responsive and I have to force quit.

Speed isn't the issue here as I have a cable modem which is pretty speedy. I have a Core Duo iMac with 2GB of RAM, so that shouldn't be the problem either. I experimented with Firefox and Camino and neither had this beachball problem. Sorry if this topic was already brought up recently, I didn't know what keywords to use in a search. Any ideas?

EDIT: I also cleared my history and cache with no luck.

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Have you installed anything onto Safari... say like plugins?

Have you tried reparing permissions?

How about deleting com.apple.safari.plist file (search in Spotlight)? What does that do?

Hope that helps...

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What sites in particular are you having these problems with?

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I have a similar problem when browsing a site like Digg, but it's caused by all the Javascript events they apply to their comments as the page loads.

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that you see this behavior on sites, like Digg, where Javascript use is heavy right as the page loads (unobtrusive JS is kind of a buzzword these days). The page is probably applying a lot of onlick or onmouseover events dynamically as the page loads.

It makes for a "better" experience once the page loads, but definitely takes longer for the page to load.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't think its javascript's problem, I would suggest OP clear out cookies and caches, maybe even delete the plist of safari and try again.

6. Martin C thread starter macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Thank you guys so much! All helpful and quick responses.

I was having the problem on almost every webpage I visited, MR included. I cleared my cache, removed all my cookies, and deleted com.apple.safari.plist. Problem solved!

My internet connection seems even faster now. :)

Thanks again.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ur very welcome, and glad ur safari works great now, :D

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Think this was related to the known icon bug? Do you know what I'm talking about? The one that slows Safari down because it actually keeps all the favicons for all the sites? Does that problem still exist?

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

have no idea, I do know when cookies and caches building up to a limit, all browsers will behave strangely. normally I clear cache first, if not working, I will do cookies (coz I m lazy, don't want to see login pages. :D), last is plist.