Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I suppose Apple Pay and Picture-in-Picture. Safari app extensions seem to be working, as well as some of the security enhancements.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
There's no way to change font size/minimum font size in Safari 10. They've removed that preference setting entirely. You can only change font size via overall percentages (zoom).
What an unbelievably bad omission on Apple's part.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7674863?start=0&tstart=0

Thank you very much for posting this. I just searched for this exact problem. I just installed Safari 10 and immediately after said WTF???

As that discussion you linked to points out, as people get older they *need* larger font sizes. This is an incredible regression.

Edit: fortunately Firefox still does this correctly.

Edit2: everyone interested in fixing this problem should read "all replies" at the apple discussions. By default only "helpful" replies are shown. The reply that worked for me linked to the following post on stack exchange:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...minimum-font-size-in-safari-10-0-macos-sierra

There is a terminal command given there that changes the font size. It worked for me for viewing Macrumors, no guarantee that it will work for all web sites.

Last edited:

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
Add-on SafariStand is now incompatible on Safari 10/El Capitan. And in a bigger circle, SIMBL (required for SafariStand) is DOA on Sierra. SafariStand is functional on Safari 9 in El Capitan, Yosemite etc.

Among a number of features, plugin SafariStand brought favicons (available on Firefox/Chrome), modified tab widths, scrolling through tabs and dated download folders to Safari feature list. Added to the lack of font size adjustment choices in Safari 10, seems this browser continues to be less and less functional.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/30688261?ac_cid=tw123456#30688261

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Has anyone tried this command? I cannot test it presently. Replace the number at the end with your preferred font size.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2MinimumFontSize -int 14

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I disabled clicktoflash and now it works.
Been asking around if anyone knows of a good replacement to clicktoflash to download video clips.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
You know what? On a whim I decided to just turn FLASH back on and install clicktoplugin and it still works! Doesn't get updated anymore but if the sucker keeps working for me I'll keep using it.
Easier than the others-just right click and download but downie looks like it is also easy with the Safari preference add on

Reactions: hwojtek

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Add-on SafariStand is now incompatible on Safari 10/El Capitan. And in a bigger circle, SIMBL (required for SafariStand) is DOA on Sierra. SafariStand is functional on Safari 9 in El Capitan, Yosemite etc.

Among a number of features, plugin SafariStand brought favicons (available on Firefox/Chrome), modified tab widths, scrolling through tabs and dated download folders to Safari feature list. Added to the lack of font size adjustment choices in Safari 10, seems this browser continues to be less and less functional.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/30688261?ac_cid=tw123456#30688261
SIMBL has been working for a while on Sierra (I got the version packaged with cDock) but recently there's been some improvements. Not only is a new SIMBL installer working, but SafariStand is working too!

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.