Safari X released

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by dogslobber, Sep 20, 2016.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Unless you'd like the new features they left out of the El-Cap-Yosemite version of Safari.

3. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

4. KALLT macrumors 601

I suppose Apple Pay and Picture-in-Picture. Safari app extensions seem to be working, as well as some of the security enhancements.

5. howiest macrumors regular

howiest

6. Phantom Gremlin, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

Phantom Gremlin macrumors regular

Thank you very much for posting this. I just searched for this exact problem. I just installed Safari 10 and immediately after said WTF???

As that discussion you linked to points out, as people get older they *need* larger font sizes. This is an incredible regression.

Edit: fortunately Firefox still does this correctly.

Edit2: everyone interested in fixing this problem should read "all replies" at the apple discussions. By default only "helpful" replies are shown. The reply that worked for me linked to the following post on stack exchange:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...minimum-font-size-in-safari-10-0-macos-sierra

There is a terminal command given there that changes the font size. It worked for me for viewing Macrumors, no guarantee that it will work for all web sites.

7. Hawaiian Starman, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

Hawaiian Starman macrumors member

Add-on SafariStand is now incompatible on Safari 10/El Capitan. And in a bigger circle, SIMBL (required for SafariStand) is DOA on Sierra. SafariStand is functional on Safari 9 in El Capitan, Yosemite etc.

Among a number of features, plugin SafariStand brought favicons (available on Firefox/Chrome), modified tab widths, scrolling through tabs and dated download folders to Safari feature list. Added to the lack of font size adjustment choices in Safari 10, seems this browser continues to be less and less functional.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/30688261?ac_cid=tw123456#30688261

8. KALLT macrumors 601

Has anyone tried this command? I cannot test it presently. Replace the number at the end with your preferred font size.

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2MinimumFontSize -int 14

9. steve333 macrumors 6502a

youtube videos don't play now. I know flash is disabled but these clips are html5

10. steve333 macrumors 6502a

I disabled clicktoflash and now it works.
    Been asking around if anyone knows of a good replacement to clicktoflash to download video clips.

11. steve333 macrumors 6502a

12. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

13. steve333 macrumors 6502a

You know what? On a whim I decided to just turn FLASH back on and install clicktoplugin and it still works! Doesn't get updated anymore but if the sucker keeps working for me I'll keep using it.
    Easier than the others-just right click and download but downie looks like it is also easy with the Safari preference add on

14. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

SIMBL has been working for a while on Sierra (I got the version packaged with cDock) but recently there's been some improvements. Not only is a new SIMBL installer working, but SafariStand is working too!

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps