Safari

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cberry240, Mar 20, 2011.

1. cberry240 macrumors member

Is there a way in Safari on iPad that if I type say fastcompany or facebook or a keyword in the address bar Safari can search and load the correct page ( similar to what it does on my laptop?

Right now it goes to a Comcast can't find domain page that offers suggestions.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. cberry240 thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand that. Seems pretty simple that I should be able to type google or facebook into the address bar and safari can get me to the correct site. However this isn't the case on iPad. Is it a setting that I've missed?

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

There is no setting for it. Browsers don't automatically know what website you want just by typing the first part of it. How is it supposed to know if you want .com .net .org ect?

5. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

There's your answer buddy. Configure it in your router.

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well given your inability to type even the most basic proper subject line, I doubt you will have the patience to configure OpenDNS. We are seriously headed for the BNL ship with sodabots and floating chairs.

8. cberry240 thread starter macrumors member

Visiting Sites using Keywords in the Address Bar

Let me see if I can be a little more clear.

Right now, I am on my laptop a MacBook Pro using Safari 5.0.4/Firefox 3.6.15 using a Belkin router, which I haven't done anything to other than plug in.

If I type "facebook", "macrumors", "mcdonalds" or whatever keyword including a site I might not have been to like npr into the address bar of the browser it will take me to the correct website. Without me having to type the whole name.

That happens right now. That's how I got to macrumors. Again having done nothing to the router, my browser settings or anything.

Now, my new iPad does not do that. When I type "npr" or "facebook" or "macrumors" into the address bar I get a Comcast page that says the domain can't be found. This page offers suggested links to what it thinks I might be trying to visit.

Again same router using Safari that is on that iPad. There has to be something I'm missing but as some of you have pointed out I'm not quite as tech savvy as others here. It has nothing to do with being lazy. It's a convenience that I have grown use to using that saves time.

9. cberry240 thread starter macrumors member

Rude. Seriously.

10. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I don't have an iPad yet, so I don't know, but, on my notebook the webpage has to be in the Safari history for it to load.

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Doesn't the website you wish to visit come up when you start typing the name?

12. cberry240 thread starter macrumors member

Nope. I've searched google and see that is a feature call "smart bar" that will offer up suggestions based on bookmarks and past site visits.

My browser on my laptop does not do that. I literally just type a keyword like "ehow", a site that I have never been to in my life, in the address bar and it redirects me to http://www.ehow.com.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Safari will learn your most visited sites and offer them as you type -- for me, "g" gets google, gmail, & golf website.

Chrome does this best on my laptop.

In IE, you can select an address bar search to "just go to the most likely site."

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

"What if everyone did it?"
    -Immanuel Kant

15. cberry240 thread starter macrumors member

I understand all the ways that this feature can be used on a notebook.

The issue is on my iPad. Safari is not learning nor is it able to handle the keywords that I input into the address bar.

16. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

He's right. A Google search fpr OpenDNS would have solved all your problems.

17. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Very peculiar because mine is.

18. cberry240 thread starter macrumors member

Learning and showing a list of sites you've been to or allowing you to type just a keyword like hotmail and hitting enter?

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It brings up a list of sites as I enter letters in the address bar.

For example:

I input "ma" in the address bar and it comes up with a list based on my frequently visited sites and bookmarks.

Attached Files:

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I beleive thats an OSX safari feature that completes the www. and .com for you when you enter a website name only (firefox and chrome do it too). I dont think that feature has made it's way to iOS yet.