Safari...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zeiter, Nov 3, 2008.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hey there,

I have bought a mac last April. I am still trying to figure out a few things.

1- I would like to know how to tell safari what program to use when clicking on a file. For example, when clicking on a .mpg file, instead of opening with quicktime, could it open with VLC? or a .torrent file, can I set it up to be open with vuze?

2- Is there a possibility to put a widget on the desktop instead of the dashboard?

3- is it possible to have the dock option looking when you put it left or right but for the bottom the black thing? thank you

All the questions I have for now,

Thank you very much.

2. dpcalhoun macrumors member

I'm not sure about the first two things...

but to get the dock to not look 3-D/no glass...open up Terminal and type in this:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

If you ever want to change it back, just do the same thing but replace "YES" with "NO"

3. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

What I am asking in my first question is this. In Internet Explorer, you can go to options and decide what programs open different types of files. I want to be able to do the same thing with safari. For example, if I click on a .torrent file while browsing in safari, I want it to open it with my client I told safari to open that type of file with.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Safari uses internet plug-ins to play videos which is just QuickTime by default but you can also install Flip4Mac to play wmv movies as well. to play the video in VLC Player first either option-click the video link or right click and choose "Download Linked File As…" then set VLC as the default video player by opening the Get Info window on the video and choose "VLC" under "Open with:" and then click "Change All…". the same goes for torrent files.

you can put a Widget on the Desktop by entering this command into Terminal "defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES; killall Dock" and then click and drag a Widget and deactivate Dashboard. but the Widget will then be on top of all windows.

5. G-Com macrumors regular

Welcome to the Macintosh world. :)

My advice: ditch Safari and go to OmniWeb.

6. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

If you right click on a file, and open Get Info, you can choose which app to run said file with.

I also suggest Perian over Flip4Mac. It will let you play almost all media formats within quicktime. Then there is no need for VLC. :)

http://perian.org/

PS. I do still use VLC occasionally, only because Quicktime doesn't have a playlist feature. Other than that, Quicktime FTW!

7. G-Com macrumors regular

I love VLC. MPlayer Extended is also good. :)

8. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

But Apple's central comittee on video players has already chosen Quicktime as the best Mp3 player for you, comrad. You should thank them and realize that they know more than you or I do. :p