Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmj, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jmj macrumors member

I've long been a Safari user, but I have finally had enough. The beach balling and stuttering are only getting worse (it's especially unbearable off a cold start). A freaking web browser should not hang and beach ball when you open the first new tab for Christ's sake.

Apple should be ashamed.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Safari continues to work just fine for thousands of happy human browsers. It's not Apple's fault. It's probably yours. 99.99213% of all computer problems are user created. Have you tried any troubleshooting measures? Cursing at it won't help, and may not get you help. Please change that to Pete's sake. (use Edit) I'm offended by your denigration. Stay calm and let's approach this analytically. If you don't know what to try, there are plenty of options. But first, list the things you've tried so we aren't suggesting things that have failed.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

How big is your cache? An overlarge cache will slow things down at startup. I have no issues with Safari relative to beachballs or slow startup.

5. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

What third party plug-ins do you use? Over 90% of Safari problems are caused by third party add ons. Remove each one individually until your problem goes away.

6. jmj thread starter macrumors member

I uninstalled Glims. Didn't seem to have any effect. The only other add on I use is ClickToFlash.

The majority of the time this happens on a cold start and it's only the first new tab I open that hangs and beach balls. After I use it for a few minutes it's fine. I have roughly a 2 year old MacBook with only 1 GB of RAM. Could this be the issue?

7. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

Gregg2, My Dad's name is Pete. Please change that to Gregg's sake (use edit).

jmj, I agree that Safari needs work. I'm anxiously awaiting a non-beta version of Chrome and Opera 10.5.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603