Safarin 4.0 better than Firefox 3.5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macbook yes, Jun 8, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

Is the newest safari really any better than the newest firefox? It doesn't seem any faster and there are little things I miss that safari doesn't have.

Firefox has:
    Addons
    Personas
    3-finger swipe to top/bottom
    enter in google bar to igoogle page
    better adblock

Safari:
    Fits the "look"
    Supposedly faster
    dragging tabs looks a lot nicer (animated)

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think its depends on each individuals, people likes tight system integration would prefer safari, while people has loved addons or like some firefox's buildin features (awesomebar, for example) would prefer firefox.

I dont really see any of these updates being earth shaking compare to their predecessors. Sure they are faster, but at the age of super fast computers, it really is not that impressive.

3. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

after using safari 4 any speed difference between the two is negligible

4. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I agree. Personally I fall into the Safari category because of system integration. However I have no issue with Firefox.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have asked a theological question rather than a technical question. Each user's favorite browser is based on that user's needs, experiences, and prejudices. They probably have nothing to do with you. I have 13 browsers installed. The browser that I use the most is Safari, now at Safari 4.0. I use a Firefox nightly whenever a site requires FF. One of the many wonderful things about using a Mac is that you don't have to make a choice. Use whichever browser whenever you need to use it for whatever reason.

6. dehory macrumors regular

To me, FF's location bar is still a bit "smarter" than Safari's, but after the latest updates, the differences are really negligible, and it's a pleasure having a choice of what are now such excellent browsers to work with. Can't wait for Chrome to get a stable release!

7. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I like the idea of keeping my system as clean as possible, I guess a minimalist approach. Safari 4 does the job of loading everything I care to load, nice and quick. No fuss, clean interface. And it's nice to have 100% pass on Acid 3 Test too.

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Ive came to the conclusion that every safari ive used has super sucked. Firefox almost never has problems pc or mac. And most colleges, sites, and other important places recommend using firefox

9. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

So, I'm curious. What 'sucks' in Safari 4 then?

10. henhowc macrumors regular

Firefox's obvious advantage is the multitude of add-ons available. But personally I've experienced way too many crashes on Firefox Mac. Just can't seem to find that perfect browser on the Mac that stops me from flip-flopping every time a new release comes out.

11. kevinuaa macrumors member

Am i the only one who got so frustrated with the Safari 4 Beta crashing so much that they had to stop using it? That mug crashed almost every session.

Worse than Windowz!