Safari's Memory Leak

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iFizz, Apr 10, 2008.

1. iFizz macrumors regular

Why can't Apple fix the stupid memory leak in Safari? It's been a noted problem for as long as I can remember. :mad:
    Also, how high does it go, in terms of memory usage (i.e. stats in activity monitor)? After just a couple of hours of moderate use, my Safari is hogging over 100MB of RAM. That's ridiculous! I wonder about those who never shut down, restart, or fully close Safari.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

At least your Safari doesn't eat up 100% of the CPU.

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Wonder no more, my Safari is using 484.99MB of RAM :eek: I kinda have a habit of keeping 8 bazillion (yes bazillion) Safari Windows open at once. Even if you close all of the windows it doesn't free the RAM, you have to actually quit Safari.

4. iFizz thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I'll bite. What's the deal with that?

Also, BUMP OP: anyone care to comment on the memory leak?

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, 100MB real memory usage isn't big, in most cases.

long time above 250MB, yes

Constant High CPU usage (60% and above) is when you feel your computer slowing down.

6. iFizz thread starter macrumors regular

Your avatar and sig say you are biased! LOL :p

7. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I doubt it's a memory leak. I think Safari just takes advantage of your extra memory by keeping all the sites you visited for the day in RAM.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

:p I have no problem stating safari's memory management isn't good. but that usually applies to something like this
    [​IMG]

9. iFizz thread starter macrumors regular

Ummmm....try googling this: safari memory leak

10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Wow that makes my 485MB look like nothing :)

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

[​IMG]

I made a thread but one person answered. Happens on battery power.

12. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I never have to worry about restarting Safari. Apple does it for me considering how often Safari crashes (at least once or twice every day).

Safari 3.1 is definitely more stable than 3.0, but neither version can compare to the stability of version 2.

13. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

not sure about memory leak, because once you quit it, it should free up the space it took up.

while i'm sure there's a problem with it, common sense would say that its just caching stuff you've been to, like youtube etc. and once you quit, it should wipe it from the ram. (like mine does)

14. Highway61 macrumors regular

Semi OT, but I'm really liking Firefox Beta 3 (much better than 2.0.13)

15. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Firefox 3, the cure to safari's memory leak issue ;)
    And if you miss the safari look, Grapples themes are beautiful
    [​IMG]

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

what is the icon ahead of the name "safari"? so different than mine...

17. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Thanks for the info on themes. I'm loving Firefox beta on my PC laptop, and have installed it on my Mac as well, since Safari sucks on a PC. I have my Safari set up so sweetly on my MBP that I hate to move to another browser, but it looks like Firefox is the way to go, at least for now.

18. vandlism macrumors 6502

bingo.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

altho I don't think 100MB is memory leak, this type of excuse is really not helping the improvement of safari.

There are alot of things that are subjective, but some basic good/bad, black/white definitions should be followed rather than distorted.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just a custom icon.

21. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Ohh looks nice! I just grabbed the Safari theme from here http://www.takebacktheweb.org/, but I have one question, how do I get the "Show All Bookmarks" button on the side of the Bookmarks Bar? I've noticed you don't have it either, but the screenshots of the theme have the button?

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox's bookmark isn't really using same mechanism as safari.

you can customize toolbar and drag the bookmark button onto the toolbar, it will open bookmark sidebar when you click it. shortcut for this is cmd+B

But if you want to manage bookmarks, you will need to press cmd+shift+B

PS. I still want to mention that firefox 3's design to to use urlbar as spotlight search within all your history and bookmarks, it maybe more effective when you have large amount of bookmarks. Pt 3 in my signature may give you more idea on this (so called "awesomebar")

Attached Files:

23. trip1ex macrumors 68000

What and get a bunch of hits from folks in forums showing us Activity Monitor and declaring Safari has a memory leak? :rolleyes:

I've seen the memory Safari uses first hand and yet I think it's just using free memory that available to it. There's also the common sense that if it were truly a 'bug' Apple would have fixed it since this has been the case for years now.

I've used Safari and Leopard on an old Emac with 640mb of Ram and had no performance problems.

Also who is to say that Safari won't give up memory to other programs if they need it? Who's to say the memory use attributed to it in Activity monitor doesn't represent both active and inactive memory? Who's to say Safari doesn't load your old history into memory when it opens up?

I'd have to bet on Apple and its programmers on this issue.

24. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Thanks, I must have been blind! I looked in the Customize Toolbar section, but missed the BookMarks icon the first time. Got it now. The search from the address bar does work out better though.

25. ixx macrumors newbie

Re: Is Safari's memory usage really a problem?

Memory leaks can be very nasty... And they can creep into new code at any time. The "real" fix may require massive changes in the code base.. who knows. I work in the software industry and know first hand that companies do not always fix bugs for long periods of time (even years).

It does not. Many people have shown this by waiting until the memory use is very high. Say 500MB+. Then start opening other programs until all physical memory is being used. Safari will NOT give up part of its memory back to the OS.

It's a given that memory can be swapped to disk... The point is when that happens performance is degraded. If you have 1GB of memory and Safari is using 800MB (I have seen it use over 1GB myself) then you will be swapping to disk.

If this really was the cause then it is something that happens over many hours... (eg. a very slow loading of history). On the otherhand you can clear *ALL* cache, memory, and other data (or even start with a fresh OS install) startup Safari start surfing and leave safari running for a couple of days and the memory usage will continue to go up with out stopping.

They are not gods. They make mistakes like any programmers. As I mentioned before memory leaks happen all over the place. Some software is completely scrapped and rewritten from scratch w/o ever getting close to fixing all bugs (even major ones).

I will say this... I prefer browsing and using Safari (with the Saft plugin) over any other browser most of the time. If it was not for the memory issue I would only use others during development and testing. Firefox 3 w/o plugins is much better w/regards to performance though. Unfortunately if you add plugins to get some of the functionality I must have that is in Safari then it becomes much less stable and some plugins kill performance (usually CPU).