Safari's memory leaks are getting out of hand

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by -A113-, Jan 8, 2016.

1. -A113- macrumors newbie

Some of these tabs I don't even have open, Safari just leaks away. Safari is managing to make 16GB of RAM an "email and browsing computer."

To be fair it's not slowing down my iMac, and I've had it running 14 days (I just put it to sleep every night, reboot it every so often), but this still shouldn't be happening, I have to quit and restart Safari every night to clear it out. Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 04.11.14.png

2. dyn, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016

dyn macrumors 68030

The only thing getting out of hand are topics like these where the topicstarter clearly didn't search at all nor did they do any form of homework. Memory management has been discussed too many times here with the same outcome: modern day operating systems function completely different from the ones back in the 1990s. The difference is very simple: back then they tried to not use available memory ("free mem" should have the highest value) whereas nowadays they finally understand how inefficient this is (not using something that is available...it's nice if you like collecting dust or paying for stuff you'll never use).

Hint: what does "memory pressure" mean/do?

3. -A113- thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm more looking at the compression and swap use, those are last resort, if it wasn't having trouble purging something then it wouldn't try to compress then swap, right?

4. dyn macrumors 68030

5. -A113- thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems to me there's no pressure because it's able to compress and swap?

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Your memory pressure is fine so don't worry. DO worry about all those crappy Google Chrome Helper processes ;-)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Uncheck all this stuff and those will go away. What happens is if you have this enabled it tries to preload searches and causes those tabs to display. It will even show tabs in there for sites you have never been to because of this.

This is in Spotlight prefs in the System Preferences.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-09_at_8_52_36_AM.png

This is in Safari preferences.

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 8.52.50 AM.png

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Why did you suggest to disable those useful preferences ? o_O

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Because it causes those phantom Safari tabs OP reported. If you don't want to have those phantom Safari tabs running you need to shut off those search options.