Safari's recent unusual behavior

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tbayrgs, Sep 7, 2011.

1. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I've been having some problems recently with Safari and I'm at a loss as to why they are occurring. Specifically, after browsing through a few webpages, I'll go back a page (set up 2 finger swipe as gesture) and from that point, I cannot load any other webpages. I don't get a beach ball and links are available but when I click on a link or try to reload the page, nothing changes--it'll going through the motions (progress bar will move, etc) but the page doesn't change, nor the address in the address bar. Reloading the page has no effect. I ultimately have to close and reopen Safari to reset it.

Today, I noticed a couple of new issues. First, the ability to close a tab using the x box on the left hand side of the tab randomly disappears--no x to be found. Also, I tried to close Safari using the Safari > Quit Safari option and it was greyed out, no pages were stuck loading and no beach ball, just unable to select it. When I right clicked on the Dock icon, selecting Quit did nothing. I went to force quit and expected to see 'Application Not Responding' but that wasn't the case. I had to force quit to close the app.

I'm using Safari on a new 2011 Mac Mini Server that has been upgraded with 8 GB of RAM (a few weeks ago, only started having these issues the past few days). I have iStats running and in each occurrence, I have plenty of available RAM (I'm aware of the bug where Safari gobbles up your RAM). I have also cleared the history and cache multiple times. I also rarely have more than 2 or 3 tabs open at once.

Anyone else experience anything similar or have an insight as to what may be causing the problem?

2. Uhhh...Clem! macrumors newbie

Re: Safari's recent unusual behavior

Me too, I'm having the same symptoms!

I've tried deleting the safari preferences file, it didn't help.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Are you running Lion or SL?

There's seems to be quite a few glitches with Safari if it's the first. In general it freezes quite often with multiple tabs or while using multi-touch gestures and requires a forced restart of the app. :(

4. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

My girlfriend had this exact same problem a few days ago. I had to show her how to force quit safari. She has a 2011 13" i5 MBP. I have my own laptop of the same model but haven't had the issue.

We both have 8GB of RAM installed in the beginning of summer, and she didn't have any problems until recently. We are both running Lion.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa