Safari's "Request Desktop Site"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Did that feature make the release? How does it work? Do you need to manually request the desktop version for every site, or is there a global setting to never load the mobile version?

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

its there, manually request for the site ur currently on but some sites dont fall for it & still stay on mobile version like my carrier's site, no global toggle yet anyway

3. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

If you're asking how to activate it, I've just wasted 20 minutes trying to figure it out!

On a webpage, click on the address bar so it brings up the icons for your favourites and then pull/swipe down over the icons so they drop down and reveal the Request Desktop site option.

Hope that's what you were asking.

4. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Some mobile sites are stubborn and refuse to show you desktop sites. They rather loose revenue as desktop sites show more adverts. Funneh!!

Same happens with Chrome on Android. You have to root and change mobile chrome's agent string to desktop chrome.

5. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

was so excited for this, but it doesn't work with all websites, ie facebook. also, the option should change to request mobile site when viewing desktop but it doesn't. any quick way to switch back?

6. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

Clear your Safari history. Your choice of version will likely have been set in a cookie.

7. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

As someone who designs and develops for the web, I must say that there are many sites (including ones I develop) that don't obey the desktop identifier because it doesn't even look for it. It's called responsive design. We scale based on the device. Now that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are popular, look for more sites to optimize their breakpoints or factor in-between breakpoints based on pixel density to determine a more accurate appearance. My sites that I've tested on my Plus actually look fairly decent, but might need some small tweaks. But the chances are that if you're complaining about a site, they probably didn't implement it properly or are sending you to a "mobile" version such as m.website.com, for example. Good responsive design starts at mobile and expands from there, rather than starting at desktop and limiting the experience downward.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

This is not how I thought it would work, and it seems that just pressing the site's mobile version link is almost always faster (and more reliable.)

Maybe it's not possible, but the way I was thinking it would work is that you'd type in a mobile address and above the "top hit" the request desktop site button would be there, which you could directly go to.

9. Iamgort macrumors regular

You need to understand that all sites that send you to a mobile version of a site do it in many different ways.

Some, once you at a m.whatever.com it doesn't check your user agent or anything. Others do a "smarter" determination of what version of the site to serve you.