Safari's tabs are not working?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xalan187, May 31, 2010.

1. xalan187 macrumors newbie

Lets say I open up Safari and I go to Facebook.com, then I decided I also want to check up on youtube and watch some videos, so I open up a new tab, click on the tab and type in Youtube.com in the address bar, instead of getting to Youtube.com on the newly opened tab, my tab that was on Facebook.com, got to Youtube.com. So I am left with one tab that is on Youtube.com, and the newly opened tab as a blank page.

I experience this every singly time, if I have tabs up, when I click them the address bar does not change, so if I have one tab open to Youtube.com, and another to Macrumors.com, and I click on Youtube.com tab, I will see the Youtube.com front page but in the address bar, Macrumors.com will still be typed in, and if I type in google.com, the original tab instead of the current tab goes to google!

Hopefully you guys understand what I am talking about, I tried to make it quite detailed, I'm not sure why this is happened, I went through Safari preferences and I could not find anything pertaining to my problem.
    By the way I am running Safari 4.0.5 on Leopard. Thanks!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Try this

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Quit Safari.
    Find the above file, and drag it to your Desktop.
    Now start Safari.
    Test it out.
    If it's all good, Trash the file on your Desktop. And please let us know!
    If there are still problems, come back for more things to try.

3. AnnmarieA34 macrumors newbie

4. AnnmarieA34 macrumors newbie

*cries*

I only THOUGHT it was working. Safari has gone back to it's old ways. I hate the way Safari leads me on.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

open System Preferences > General

What is New tabs open with: set to? You could try changing that and see if it makes it work for you.

6. RCorrell macrumors newbie

0 for 2 gregg

gregg2, neither of your suggestions are helpful. before you post your "expert" technical advice, try double checking your work. your first suggestion leads to a bogus link and your second suggestion does not exist. there is not a "general" section under system preference. if there is, be more clear and specific.

this is a dead thread.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Wow, that's rather hostile, don't you think?

I think he meant Safari --> Preferences --> General

Under there you'll find this:

Attached Files:

8. Gregg2, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes to both. Thanks for correcting that slip-up. At first I thought it might be a version thing, but no, it was just a brain thing.

That post is six-months old though. In the meantime, more brain cells have died.

For the record, the first suggestion (post #2) worked for Annmarie (post #3), and did not contain a "link".

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I wish there was a laughing icon :p.

Gregg2, don't worry, I'm right there with you. How many brain cells does each drink wipe out? Every night is disastrous for my intelligence!

RCorrell should brush up on his manners.

10. acheegurl macrumors newbie

Where...

Where would I find HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist? My tabs are doing the same thing, and i know your second suggestion won't work as i did it myself, and the first tab starts out as my top sites when i open a new tab...so annoying...

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

HD is the top level, you know, the icon in the upper right corner
    Users is a folder in the above
    Next is YourUserName. You know it, I don't. (the little white house icon)
    Hopefully you can then find the other folders and the file from there.

12. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can also click on the Finder icon in the Dock, make sure you have the icon of the house selected, and to the right, double-click the Library folder, scroll down to find Preferences, and locate the file within Preferences.