SafariStand & History Flow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ziggyonice, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

So I've got the SafariStand plugin installed, and I love it. It especially works great with the History Flow feature, which I use all the time to browse my history.

Problem here is that I started looking through my hard drive for some old files to delete, when I found the folder that stores the thumbnails for History Flow (~/Library/Caches/SafariStand/thumbnail.noindex/). It had kept the thumbnails in there since the day I installed the plugin! A few gigs of data were being used up by these really outdated items of history. So my question is, does anyone know of a way to have these items be deleted after a certain period of time?

It seems that Safari's option to erase your history over a set amount of time has no effect on the files stored within this folder. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Do you need to keep recent instances, or is it okay to periodically trash everything in the directory?

3. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Keeping recent instances would be most ideal, although either is better than gigs of data just sitting there.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, I'm not good enough in UNIX to know how to delete files older than a certain age, but I can tell you how to empty the directory whenever you start the computer, anyway. That's probably the best way to go since it doesn't risk deleting a thumbnail that's in use. The process is a little involved, but straightforward. Don't let it intimidate you.

Open a Terminal window, and run

crontab -e

Press a, then add a new line at the end if there's already anything in there. (There probably won't be, just a bunch of empty lines denoted with ~.) Type:

@reboot rm ~/Library/Caches/SafariStand/thumbnail.noindex/*

Then hit escape. Now type :wq and hit return.

That's all it should take. Try rebooting the computer and see if it works as advertised. Hey, it's not my fault that vim is so counterintuitive... :p

5. SteveSalt macrumors newbie

Hazel

You can set up Hazel to move files to the trash. runs automatically on the frequency you set up (among many other things Hazel can do). I just set it up to remove anything older than 60 days.

http://www.noodlesoft.com/