Safe Boot Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tft87, Aug 4, 2012.

1. tft87 macrumors newbie

My 2009 macbook pro isn't starting up correctly. First, safari started running slow. Soon after, the computer would stop loading at the blue screen. I'm able to get to the safe boot startup screen (where it asks for my password). I enter my password, click log in, the box disappears, and there's nothing on the screen except for the pointer and the standard purple spacey background for several mintues. The password screen then pops up again. This repeats over and over again. What might this mean? It's obviously the correct password since the box shakes if I enter a wrong one. It's accepting the password but not fully loading up. Thanks so much for the help.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It sounds like something is wrong with your hard drive or OSX install. Have you changed anything major about your computer lately?

Try booting with the "Application install DVD" in the optical drive and hold down the D key. This will start up the Apple hardware test, you can run it and it may find a hardware problem.

3. tft87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I havent changed anything about it lately. I really only use it for internet.

I did an extended hardware test (w/o the disc, I can't find it right now). It found an error: 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA (0,0).

Thanks for any help

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm pretty sure that error code means that there is a problem with the HDD. Time to replace it.

5. tft87 thread starter macrumors newbie

damn, is that expensive? Whenever I turn on the computer, it does make a noise, like gears turning or something. I guess that's the HD failing.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you can do it yourself, it's not too expensive. Check out ifixit for a guide. I'm not sure how much space you need, but this could be your opportunity to install a SSD!

Hope you backed up your data...

7. tft87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know a lot about technical computer stuff, but if I put a new drive in I'll lose everything that was on my computer like my itunes songs and word documents?

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes. It's very important to back up your data. It is POSSIBLE that you can recover the data, but along with the replacement drive you're going to have to buy an enclosure to put the old drive in.

You don't happen to have another Mac, do you?

9. tft87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do, the computer I'm using right now is my mom's macbook pro. We also have an Imac. But since I'm able to get to the safe boot start up screen, isn't there a chance a I can access the computer again?

10. T5BRICK, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you have the correct FireWire cable, you can boot your MBP in "target disk mode." Basically, your computer will become an external HDD while you're doing this.

To access target disk mode, turn on your MBP and hold down the "t" key until you see a screen with a FireWire symbol. Now plug it in to the other Mac and copy your files over(if the rest of the data is still there).

----------

You could also try an "archive and install." Basically, you reinstall the OS, but all of the user files and applications are left alone.

11. tft87 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, what kind of firewire cable do I use? do I have to go out and buy a special one?