Safe Capsule + 3TB WD HDD not formatting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hemel, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hemel macrumors newbie

Just picked up a Stardom Safe Capsule (not the new version) and one WD Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB HD.

after I install the HD into the enclosure (non-RAID config) and hook it up to my mid-2011 Mac Mini, disk utility is able to see the HD but when I go to format into Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) I get the following error: "Wiping Volume Data to Prevent Future Accidental Probing Failed"

I've searched and couldn't find anything that would help me on this. I don't think it's the HD enclosure that's the problem as Disk Utility recognizes the drive as a 3TB drive.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Did you format the new drive or partition it?

When I get a new drive, the first thing I do is re-partition it as opposed to reformatting, making sure the partition map is set to GUID.

3. Hemel thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out....although Stardom claims that Safe Capsule does support 3TB drives, it doesn't like to format them!

I pulled the drive and put it into another HD enclosure and formatting worked perfectly. Safe capsule has no problems with the drive now that it's formatted...:rolleyes: