Safe disposal of bulging MBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James Hatts, Aug 30, 2008.

1. James Hatts macrumors newbie

I have an old MBP battery which was replaced by Apple some time ago when there was a scare about batteries.

Mine was fine at the time so I never returned the 'old' battery to Apple and continued to use it alongside the new one.

It's been on a shelf for a while; it started to bulge some time ago and now the seal has been broken and the metal bit has come away from the plastic.

What's the safest/most environmentally-sensitive way to dispose of the battery in its current state?

Any ideas gratefully received.

2. James Hatts thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I should have said that I'm in London, UK

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In that case, throw it in the Thames. :p

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Are the vendors not legally required to dispose of it? Astonishingly, we have laws requiring vendors to dispose of any electrical component they have sold, thus, returning the defective battery to an Apple outlet would be possible here.
    Let us know what transpires.

Good luck with it; cheers

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

I live in the US, so its probably different, but here you can drop off any battery at the fire station, and they will take it free. Same with most auto parts stores. They are required to dispose of them, and most will take them hoping that act will get you to come in and buy something.

6. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I would normally recommend Earth911, but I'm pretty sure they only do US and Canada.

Contact your local government, waste collection company, or recycling center. They should let you know how to recycle it.

Also, you could Google "battery recyling in [your city name here]"

7. lauph macrumors regular

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I second the Apple Store. I'm sure they'll take it, and it's way more fun than an auto parts store.