Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varxx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Question: Are there any third-party file managers that are known to be extremely safe, i.e., that haven't shown a problem with filesystem corruption or other nefarious things?

A follow-up question: can I assume that any file manager available on the App Store is going to treat my system nicely?

I occasionally get tired of opening multiple Finder windows to do file chores, and I really miss having a Move To context menu item.

Thanks.

varxx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thank, n(H@rD$e. That's a pretty good thread. I suppose if there were any serious safety issues -- file corruption tendencies, for example -- they'd be mentioned. I've always thought of file operations as being among the riskiest things you can have a computer do, but maybe that's naive.

I be pretty happy if I could just add "Move to" to the context menu of Finder. A few years back I used XtraFinder for this, but you have to disable SIP to use XtraFinder on Big Sur. On my non-production machines I don't mind working without system protection measures, but on my primary machine I'm all for it.

I imagine "Move to" can be added as a service or whatever to the context menu, but I don't know how to do that and am also wary of breaking things when it comes to file operations.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I know this is not what your looking for, but, I'm a fan of tabs in Finder to do moves.

varxx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Here's a big thread discussing that subject

Best Finder alternative | MacRumors Forums
I've nearly read through that thread. I'm seeing good things about ForkLift, for which I already own a license but haven't used in several years. I was looking for warnings about stability, file corruption, and such. It sounds like ForkLift and probably several others are good, stable software.

This post was a solid endorsement of Forklift, which was good enough for me, but I see that there are other good possibilities. Of course, each different Finder alternative has its own fanbase. This wouldn't be the Internet otherwise.

So, thanks, ... you with the unpronounceable name! (I'm wondering: if you get married, will the preacher turn to your spouse-to-be and say, "Do you take n(H@rD$e to be your lawfully wedded spouse?")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.