Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2006
Hey, what temp range is good for a MBP C2D 2.33GHz and 15" screen? I just want to know so I am not so paranoid about the heat... lol

JPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2006
Sorry, I ment the MBPs heat, not the temp around me >.<

r1ck

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2006
I'm curious about the temp of my laptop too. I downloaded smcFanControl and it seems that my laptop is regularly at about 55 degress Celsius when my fan rpm is at 3000 which seems pretty hot. What is the average heat to rpm ratio? And at what temp should I be worried about my laptop not working correctly?

diadem

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2006
Glasgow
70 oc and up is where you dont really want to be.

But the hotter it is means short life span for hardware, tbh turning a computer on and off every day will do more damage to your computer compaired to running at 40 - 50oc.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It's not just the CPU temps but the case temp that you should be worried about especially if you're hitting up the GPU heavily as well. You can find out case temps with a non-contact IR thermometer.

I've reached case temps of 60C with both CPU/GPU working pretty hard and no Fan Control, which is enough to cause burns with relatively short contact times - and constant, generally in use case temps of ~50C which is enough to cause low-temperature burns with extended exposure. Never come across that before on any supposedly 'premium' laptop :rolleyes:

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I'd say idle and light work (browsing the web, word processing, etc.) is from mid 40s to mid 50s.

While on my lap it gets to the high 50s to mid 60s (speed unmodified, apple default).

this is how hot mine gets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.