"Safe-ing" iPhone 3G into an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcb10, May 29, 2010.

1. jcb10 macrumors regular

I will be upgrading to a faster, larger-capacity iPhone when the new model is released. My 6-yo son enjoys playing games, music and watching video on my current 3G, so I'd like to let him use it as an iPhone touch after my upgrade.

I'd like everything to work except the phone and cellular data (wi-fi's fine). My question, is there anything I need to do other than take out the sim?

As an aside, I know some phones allow 911 and operator calls without a sim card, is that the case here? I'd rather my kid not be able to dial out.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

turn airplane mode on so that no cellular data can be transmitted.... wifi will go off but you can turn the wifi back on again after airplane mode is on

3. hoffmant macrumors member

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes and the iPhone is the that way as well. Its quite possible that that your son would be able to dial 911 on the phone even if you pulled the sim card.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes it would, the US Government law requires that all cell phones must be able to make 911 calls regardless of being activated. So it would make a nice emergency phone for your son. Its why I put my old cell phones in my glove box fully charged and keep them that why in case of an emergency.