Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
A while ago (back when it was still supported by macOS), a friend gave me a copy of Band-in-a-Box Ultra Plus on a hard drive. It's the 2015 license, and it's on an 160 GB PG Music proprietary Mini-USB spinning HDD. While the software is 32 bit and thus will only run on Mojave and earlier, I still love it and, although 7 years old, it still sounds REALLY good. My questions are:
  1. Is it legal to clone the drive to another drive for redundancy? I will keep this safe and won't sell it/give it away, etc.
  2. Is it safe to do so? Will the contents of the original drive be affected if I use Disk Utility "Restore" function?
Would you recommend doing this, or is it not even worth it? I'm planning on buying their 2022 license soon, as it is M1 optimized/supported, and they lowered the price of the Ultra version, but for now, if that hard drive fails, that's a real problem.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I think if you have a valid license, then your fine.
I would want a backup copy.

Can you not copy the contents to your Mac....?

Reactions: Fishrrman

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
You can install it on the Mac, which technically would be a viable option. When you run the Installer package, you get the option to install fonts, etc. but you also can install the entire software (including samples, etc.) on your internal drive. So I'll do that, too.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
You can install it on the Mac, which technically would be a viable option. When you run the Installer package, you get the option to install fonts, etc. but you also can install the entire software (including samples, etc.) on your internal drive. So I'll do that, too.
That would give you a backup then on your Mac, and also if you have Time Machine or similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.