SAFE MODE: my first black screen of death

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gottafly, Aug 7, 2010.

1. gottafly macrumors regular

I just experienced my first "black screen of death" since jailbreakme was installed. iPhone 4 was totally unresponsive. Screen would not wake up, home and power buttons had no effect. Only by holding both home and power did it reset and show the following screen capture.

(having trouble uploading from my iPad. Will try to attach later.

It was my first experience with "Safe Mode". I must say that I've added and removed a number of programs since JBing and have only left the essentials on the phone. The last 2 added just prior to the Black Screen were SBsettings and Infinidock. I like and will leave infinidock but can probably live without SBsettings.

I was worried when, after hard reset, instead of my usual lock screen wallpaper there appeared a black screen with a terminal looking smiley face. After sliding to unlock, the Safe Mode screen image appeared. After a respiring everything seems fine, so my worries were relatively short lived.

Can anyone else shed some light on Safe Mode?

2. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Safe mode is a feature of mobilesubstrate. A lot of jailbreak programs use mobilesubstrate and it has a built in protection method where if a program crashes, instead of leaving the phone unresponsive, mobilesubstrate will put the phone into safe mode so you can uninstall it (or fix the problem).

It very rarely happens randomly and I can only think a toggle you added in sbsettings caused it or you didn't have the latest version of infinidock.

3. gottafly thread starter macrumors regular

Great description. Much appreciated.

Had toggled SBsettings earlier and it seemed to be running OK. Infinidock is v1.5 which is supposed to be compatible with iOS4.

I had just received an SMS with the screen off (heard the chime) but when I when to retrieve, nothing...black screen. (I am running Quick Reply, which I love). That may have contributed.

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It may have been Quick Reply, I'm not sure if its 4.0 compatible.

5. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

infinidock is working? what about infiniboard?

6. gottafly thread starter macrumors regular

Infinidock claims compatible with iOS4 and iP4

Not running Infiniboard