Safe Mode Not Working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by confucious42, Aug 17, 2007.

1. confucious42 macrumors newbie

Ok, first of all I would like to say hi, and I got my first mac today(second actually, but its the first one with new world rom) It is a second hand G3 450 B&W with 512mb of ram, I got it all for $50. It had a fresh install of 10.3.9 on it.

Now to my problem, I turned it on for the first time and everything worked fine, but the resolution was too low for me, so I put it up to 1280 by 1024 (I know its higher than most people use but 1024 by 768 seems to cluttered for me). and I messed around on it for a bit longer, then turned it off. I came back later with and it turned on fine, and I connected to the internet, and downloaded the system updates, there was 3 of them, and I got them, and then rebooted, but after the reboot my monitor stayed black and said "sync: out of range". I looked around for an answer to the problem and the apple support page said to boot into safe mode to change the resolution after the first sound by holding shift. But when I hold on shift nothing happens, I've tried tapping shift, that does not work either. I don't know if its because I'm using a hella old ADB keyboard or what... Any Ideas will help...

Sorry for the long paragraph with bad punctuation.

2. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

There are several possibilities, but the first thing I would try is a different keyboard. I assume you have tried both shift keys?

Be sure you are following the right safe mode directions:

Learn how to start up Mac OS X 10.2 or later in Safe Mode.

To start up into Safe Mode (to "Safe Boot"), do this:

Be sure the computer is shut down.
    Press the power button.
    Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
    Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
    Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

3. confucious42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, but it turns out that the monitor quit working, it has been having problems recently, but when I hooked it back up to my pc it didn't work either, so I tried a different monitor, and it worked fine.