Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I have the Open Firmware Password enabled, which prevents my machine from booting into Safe Mode when I hold the shift key at startup (as expected). As a result, if I want to use Safe Mode I have to boot up from my install DVD, disable the password and then reboot. Very time consuming!

I just read about a way to boot into Safe Mode (at Apple Support[/URL)] by entering the following terminal command:

sudo nvram boot-args="-x"

Has anyone tried this before? I'm a little hesitant to test it out in case I run into some sort of Open Firmware/Safe Mode conflict.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I have the Open Firmware Password enabled, which prevents my machine from booting into Safe Mode when I hold the shift key at startup (as expected). As a result, if I want to use Safe Mode I have to boot up from my install DVD, disable the password and then reboot. Very time consuming!

I just read about a way to boot into Safe Mode (at Apple Support[/URL)] by entering the following terminal command:

sudo nvram boot-args="-x"

Has anyone tried this before? I'm a little hesitant to test it out in case I run into some sort of Open Firmware/Safe Mode conflict.

Extrapolating from [URL="http://hintsforums.macworld.com/archive/index.php/t-102785.html"]this thread
, it seems that this approach will allow you to boot into Safe Mode even with an Open Firmware password enabled. But I'm not going to test it on my system. :)

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
it seems that this approach will allow you to boot into Safe Mode even with an Open Firmware password enabled

Worked just fine. To get back to a "standard" boot, just remove the -x from the command.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.