Safe Mode Startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Big Ron, May 2, 2017.

1. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Hi

I have a eary 2015 retina MacBook Pro, details below.

No matter what I do I can't start it up in Safe Mode, does anyone have any advice?

I have tried the key combinations at startup but I don't have any luck.

In ever other respect the MacBook works well its just that, should there be a problem, I couldn't start in Safe Mode to carry out further diagnostics.

Thanks

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

What "key combinations" are you trying? It should be only holding the "shift" key down when booting.

What problems are you experiencing that require running diagnostics in Safe mode?

3. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I am holding the 'shift' key, when booting, right up to the point where I am asked for my password.
    It doesn't matter whether I press the left or right 'shift' key.

4. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Put the password in when it asks. It should but into the the OS, but display Safe Boot in the upper right. If you have File Vault turned on, you will likely see a slow progress bar after you enter your password and it will eventually load to a second screen asking for password.

5. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I tried what yousuggested SDColorado - It made no diffference. It boots up just as fast, there is no Safe Boot displayed and I don't have File Vault turned on.

I have tried Shift + cmd + V and that makes no difference either - just a normal boot by the looks of it.

Confused?

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

OK. I thought maybe it was due to FileVault, because that won't show Safe Boot until you have gone through that first password screen, which decrypts FileVault.

The other way to tell if you are in Safe Boot, is to allow the machine to fully boot after the Hold/Shift and entering the password and then go to About This Mac->System Report->Software and look at the Boot Mode line. It will report either Normal or Safe.

Sounds like it isn't going into Safe Boot though, but I am assuming you entered the password and allowed it to fully boot?

Edit: Boot Mode is the 4th line down when you look at Software in System Report

7. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Yes I am entering the password and allowing it to fully boot.

When I look at Software in System Report the 4th line does indeed report.........Normal!!

Aagh!

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Unfortunatly I am not sure what else to tell you to try. I don't think it matters which shift key you use, though I always use the left. You can also let it go as soon as you see the  logo, though I always hold it down until the password screen and it seems to make no difference.

Have you done a diagnostic by holding the D key during reboot?

9. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I have tried both shift keys.

I have tried to initiate a diagnostics but guess what, holding the D key during boot doesn't change anything either.

Lets hope nothing goes wrong - thanks for trying SDColorado.

10. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Sounds as though something already has. I assume when you are booted normally the shift keys and D keys work as they should?

I don't suppose you have an Apple Store or certified repair center near you for a service appointment?

Edit: Also have you tried shutting it off completely for like 10 minutes, rather than a restart, prior to attempting Safe Boot?

11. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Yes once booted all the keys function normally. I do have an Apple store nereby, I guess I shall just have to book an appointment.

I very rarely put the MacBook to sleep, it gets turned off when I leave work then gets turned back on the next morning.

Thanks again.