Safe mode

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nipohe, Sep 8, 2010.

1. nipohe macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I've a jailbroken iphone 3gs. After trying to use a newly downloaded app from installous, my iphone gave me a loading screen. Horrors of horrors... it brought me to my enter passcode page with a wallpaper that was not what I was using. (black screen with a emoticon like handphone with letter and numbers at the bottom half of the screen :eek:)

I quickly pressed the off button and when I pressed the off button again... the wall paper was restored to my usual wallpaper. Silly me... I did not take a photo of it. I tried to repeat the steps to get the error again by uninstalling and installing the app again but to no avail. If you are wondering what app was that... it was JotNot Pro

Since it was back to "normal" I continued with what I was doing and sent an image from my iphone to my yahoo email. When I opened the email and downloaded the image... horrors of horrors again! The picture turned out to be an image that was not in my iphone and a screenshot of an iphone that is not mine! GAK!

[​IMG]

I'm now at a loss of what to do... My iphone is working as usual. Please advice thanks.

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

My advice: Don't pirate apps, buy the app next time. That is the only solution.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Full factory reset, wipe off memory and stay away from software you don't know where come from. I know: stupid and simple advise. But that's the price you pay/ risk you take when jailbreak

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

WRONG! That's the chance you take when you pirate apps. Jailbreaking is fine and safe though installing an app not made for the OS can put the phone into safe mode and in rare cases, that can require a restore to fix. I had that happen once before.

Safe mode is nothing to worry about also, it's made for situations like what the OP experienced above.

5. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

The screen you saw was the normal mobile substrate crash screen. Nothing to do with a virus... Something crashed. Springboard rebooted into a safe mode. If you had bothered to put in your passcode it would have explained it to you fully. Nothing to worry about...
    I am just assuming with the second thing that you totally messed this up and looked at someone else's uploaded image, not your own. Look in your camera roll. I can guarantee the image from someone else's phone is certainly not in there, therefore you simply messed up the upload.

6. nipohe thread starter macrumors newbie

"The screen you saw was the normal mobile substrate crash screen. Nothing to do with a virus... Something crashed. Springboard rebooted into a safe mode. "
    That's a relieve! Thanks

"If you had bothered to put in your passcode it would have explained it to you fully." - I thought the enter passcode portion might be part of the virus... hence I did not do so.

"I am just assuming with the second thing that you totally messed this up and looked at someone else's uploaded image, not your own. Look in your camera roll. I can guarantee the image from someone else's phone is certainly not in there, therefore you simply messed up the upload."
    It was an email that I emailed myself. The photo is not in my camera roll... that's the freaky part.

Thanks for the advise from everyone. I need to clarify that I do purchase my apps, I download to test the apps first. Downloaded apps are usually deleted in about 1 week. I do this as I've spent quite a fortune downloading good apps and after using find out that they do not live up to their price, reviews and functions.

7. nipohe thread starter macrumors newbie

Once bitten, twice shy. I think I will not test out apps anymore. :(

8. ivandr macrumors regular

Uhh that's the Safe Mode wallpaper... happens when the phone crashes or hangs on something, rebooting exits safe mode. Oh and listen to the above... don't pirate because it can cause instabilities

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Stop pirating software. And if you do, stop asking people for help. You obviously have no idea what you are doing.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is where I stop reading.... I am sure you DO have a virus, and you don;t deserve any help on how to remove it, By now they already got all your personal information, password and contacts. That is the price to pay for Pirated/Stolen app, A lot more expensive than buying the apps if you ask me.

And this is total BS, just because a few morons go around messing theirs phone up and stealing app doesn't make jailbreaking unsafe or risky

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no virus like I suspected, just a ms crash from a bad download, change the title of the thread please....

13. Orion126 macrumors regular

That's what I do and I don't feel bad about it.

14. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Less BS but an opinion ... But anyway there are already many threats on that topic not worth to be rediscussed here.

15. The General macrumors 601

Carry on, it was just safe mode.

Pirating stuff definitely didn't cause this.

16. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

17. LiveFreeDie macrumors regular

I had this happen to me 1 day after I JB my phone and thought the same thing at first. But then figured out it was just in safe mode.

18. ALWAYSBLESS macrumors member

Idk why people on this forum always getting butt hurt and start assuming everyone pirates apps that **** is childish it doesn't even effect you, plus even if he did half the people crying about it have probably pirated somethng in their lifetime themselves. The man was simply asking for help not a bunch of useless replies from people spewing ignorance about pirating

19. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

+1 .. I'm so sick of all this holier then thou ****.

I'm going to go download a pirated app now to cheer myself up.
    :D

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It is not about being childish or having butt hurt form it, most people here (including me) couldn't care less about what you or anyone else install on their iDevices, or from where they got it or if they paid for it, the point is that is "Against Forums Rules", so if you pirate App don;t come here discuss it, there are plenty of places on the net to do that (including the forums from the repo that you download the pirate/Stolen app from)

This Forums have a specific purpose and discussing and supporting pirate/stolen apps is not one of them