Safe not to install anti-virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

Since Mac is not prone to virus as it is known, is it safe not to install anti-virus software? I merely surf "normal site", download things if needed, receieve email with attachment.

BTW, if those email attachment has virus, will Mac auto prompt and auto delete without any anti-virus program.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

mac is immune to viruses due to the nature of the OS, there is however a trojan out there, but you'd have to illegally download and install photoshop cs4 or iWork 09 using bittorrent.

I have never used any antivirus on my macs, just common sense.

3. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to hear that assurance.

How about unknowingly opening email attachment which already consist of virus?

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

like I said there are no viruses for mac, just a trojan.
    even if there were you would get prompted if you wanted to run it, and with a bit of common sense you'd press cancel.
    even if you get windows virus their binarily different and wont be able to run at all.

and sorry for being a bit rude, but you should really have searched before posting.

google and mroogle is great!

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

But, you can pass on a virus in an e-mail to people using Windows.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

My opinion on that is to let them worry about it. All Windows users should be running AV software anyway. It's not like the virus can sit on your system and keep sending itself to every mail recipient.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If your are concerned about it (emails to work, etc), then you can always use ClamXav