Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And damaging the MacBook! In any case, it makes you wonder what could be causing this issue, maybe it's something leading to the battery to cause it to explode. Not good if this article is accurate.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'll bet you anything it is an early version that the online retailer was trying to unload. JD is an online retailer in China...who knows what kind of oversight they have to ensure only safe devices are sold.

Regardless, considering the recent circumstances, any Samsung devices catching fire or exploding, Note 7 or not, are just more bad publicity piling on for Samsung.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesrick80

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I'll bet you anything it is an early version that the online retailer was trying to unload. JD is a Chinese online retailer...who knows what kind of oversight they have to ensure only safe devices are sold.

Regardless, considering the recent circumstances, any Samsung devices catching fire or exploding, Note 7 or not, are just more bad publicity piling on for Samsung.

I had the same thought. I can't imagine Sammy would release an unsafe Note post-recall.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
He should still have the box and included sticker that comes with the box with the IEMI. Samsung could easily check that, to see if it's the "safe" version. If the guy refuses to give that up, then screw him.

Reactions: jamezr

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Sorry guys, Samsung cut corners once, and they're not immune to cutting them again.

Seems like the safe Note 7 isn't safe after all. Staying far away from this knockoff-grade brand from now on.

Reactions: Qbnkelt

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Rofl, oh Samsung.

I wonder if changing the battery logo to green is all they did.
This was in China. Phones sold in China weren't recalled because it came from a different manuf. and it was believed that these phones weren't affected.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
He should still have the box and included sticker that comes with the box with the IEMI. Samsung could easily check that, to see if it's the "safe" version. If the guy refuses to give that up, then screw him.

He already posted that online.

60b3360902edec8f2ed1c0d35039c972.png

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Would be a complete disaster for Samsung if more explosions begin to materialise post the new batch of phones.

I personally will not buy till I see more concrete evidence that the device is safe.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Not good, Samsung is really screwed if more of these reports come out. Makes me hesitant looking at my Note 7.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
He wants to publicize the issue and doesn't want it investigated. Riiiiiiight.
Why not take your pics/video of the thing, then get it investigated. And you can still publicize it all you want. But for some reason, you'd rather not let Samsung look at it. Hmmm...wonder if it isn't actually green battery Note 7. :rolleyes:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
He wants to publicize the issue and doesn't want it investigated. Riiiiiiight.
Why not take your pics/video of the thing, then get it investigated. And you can still publicize it all you want. But for some reason, you'd rather not let Samsung look at it. Hmmm...wonder if it isn't actually green battery Note 7. :rolleyes:

Remember this user is in China, and feels he might get whitewashed / censored by anyone investigating. China, where feeling of government or any 'officials' would cover up and keep voices silent is not an uncommon mistrust of people / residents (and not without good reason).

Samsung will be able to tell from the IMEI he has posted what battery supplier the device came from. Samsung has been in touch with user, we do not know how that conversation went or the information provided by the customer, so it's far too early to jump on the bandwagon and declare it fallacious or vice-versa condemn the new 'safe' devices across the board.

Wait and see if there is any further comeback about this before anyone jumps to conclusions either way.

Last edited:

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Remember this user is in China, and feels he might get whitewashed / censored by anyone investigating. Remember this is China, where feeling of government or any 'officials' would cover up and keep voices silent is not an uncommon mistrust of people / residents.

Samsung will be able to tell from the IMEI he has posted what battery supplier the device came from.

Lol, yes, China, where not only the government's or any officials' motives are questionable. I got friends who own businesses in China. Consumer fraud in China is just as bad at the fraud from online retailers and knock off shops in China. He posted a damn box. I could post a pic of my new box showing the black square and good IMEI, then have a burnt out Note 7 next to it. Proves nothing. So until the actual device is in Samsung's HANDS, nothing is conclusive. How do we know this isn't one of the roughly 1000 devices that were recalled in China? One can't just make a claim and not have it investigated. Good grief.

So let this thread be another example of how such a questionable claim and article is not approached with even the slightest bit of clear thinking by some posters. Lol. Just to be clear, wasn't referring to MRU.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU and LIVEFRMNYC

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lol, yes, China, where not only the government's motives are questionable. I got friends who own businesses in China. Consumer fraud in China is just as bad at the fraud from online retailers and knock off shops in China. He posted a damn box. I could post a pic of my new box showing the black square and good IMEI, then have a burnt out Note 7 next to it. Proves nothing. So until the actual device is in Samsung's HANDS, nothing is conclusive. How do we know this isn't one of the roughly 1000 devices that were recalled in China? One can't just make a claim and not have it investigated. Good grief.
I got it. Guilty of fraud until proven innocent. (Not that it is or isn't fraud because right now this story is like so many others.)

Reactions: Richdmoore

phoneguy265

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
It might sound silly, but I lurked here for many years. I was an Apple user (still love them) but I have moved over to Android mostly. This forum is what opened my eyes to Android. And I have read this forum for years. Many people out there who are not participating truly come to this site as a resource for opinion and reviews. Not all of us can afford to buy a new phone every couple months. So you help us make a decision. Some of you are really all stars whether you know it or not. You have influenced a lot of people. And this forum used to be great tucked away in here outside of xda, reddit, android forums.... you could get real balanced talk.

But something changed and those days are done. I guess it was the Note scandal but it started before that. People are becoming too personally and emotionally influenced by a piece of electronics. They side with corporations. There is no more clear headed and balanced discussion. @jamezr was great.... he owned many phones. I respected him for years. But even he went off the deep end a bit with the Note 7 stuff. And I don't really blame him. I have tried to participate here recently but it just makes you crazy. @MRU is honestly one of the few left with any sense of reality. And I am not sure even he is able to take it anymore.

Sorry for getting so personal. I'll probably get banned for this but that is OK, I am done here for good. I know it is a silly forum, but it really is a loss of a great resource for many of us.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I got it. Guilty of fraud until proven innocent. (Not that it is or isn't fraud because right now this story is like so many others.)

Or in your view, a legitimate case without an investigation. Let's just agree to say any case is just a report until it's investigated. But when someone doesn't want to hand over the device... ;) Yeah, I'll just wait for the investigation, if there is one.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Or in your view, a legitimate case without an investigation. Let's just agree to say any case is just a report until it's investigated. But when someone doesn't want to hand over the device... ;) Yeah, I'll just wait for the investigation, if there is one.

Lol, every single report is going to be news fodder and will be a post on this forum. It is what it is, Samsung screwed up and they are paying the price for it. I do agree with you that we shouldn't automatically label every single report as hard evidence that Samsung did something wrong. Just as those 96 reports in the US had about a 3rd of them be unrelated. But Samsung really has a PR issue on their hands, whether the reports are true or not. If it was Apple the media would go nuts as well, it's just their job in this day and age of ratings and clickbaiting.

Reactions: MRU and Sevanw
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.